A new wiki for the project

By Sanglorian 4 Feb 2016 19:51

Champion · 498 comments

Hi folks,

I have put together a draft wiki for this project, hosted at this address: http://tuxemon.referata.com/

Now, I know we already have a wiki attached to the GitHub, but I feel like the project's demands are too big for the GitHub wiki.

In particular, it's useful to have:

1) Clear version control. MediaWiki makes it very easy to see how an image has changed over time - see this Drokoro sprite for example: http://tuxemon.referata.com/wiki/File:D … _front.png

2) Templates for common entries (monsters, trainers, contributors, etc.)

3) Automation. If you tag images correctly, the wiki that I have set up will automatically display them in the relevant entries. It also generates automatic evolution chains (see the Hoarse line as an example: http://tuxemon.referata.com/wiki/Hoarse ). In the future, we can set it up as a database to do more advanced things.

Take a look and let me know what you think. Obviously it's not polished yet, but it should be functional.

By Leo 4 Feb 2016 22:03

Moderator · 70 comments

I agree with you, it seem that there should be a better way to organize everything, in particular we should have:
- a way to easily integrate polls
- a way to display comments
- a nice visual interface for the last tasks
So for example, if somebody puts a creature, the pipeline would be:
- first the creature is put in standby, open to comments on its design/type/etc.
- then after a while if needed we put a poll for its integration/reject
- then the task 'make sprite for creature #' is added.
There can be similar things for the sprite creation.

Maybe a Trello group would be the appropriate thing? Or can we do all that with the wiki?

By tamashihoshi 4 Feb 2016 22:17

Champion · 251 comments

I like mediawiki big_smile
I don't mind what we use... but I felt like creating an account and starting to write a little...

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By tamashihoshi 4 Feb 2016 22:46

Champion · 251 comments
Leo wrote

I agree with you, it seem that there should be a better way to organize everything, in particular we should have:
- a way to easily integrate polls
- a way to display comments
- a nice visual interface for the last tasks
So for example, if somebody puts a creature, the pipeline would be:
- first the creature is put in standby, open to comments on its design/type/etc.
- then after a while if needed we put a poll for its integration/reject
- then the task 'make sprite for creature #' is added.
There can be similar things for the sprite creation.

Maybe a Trello group would be the appropriate thing? Or can we do all that with the wiki?

Trello seems like a good way to keep track of tasks but not of information.. But Im not sure.
With Trello we might do the poll/integration/reject stuff/forum-ticket-system but we could still use something to collect all information.

I still didn't use GitHub yet u_u' I really need to take a look at it!

Edit: Reading this again, this sounds weird and misunderstandable.. D:
I'll write it in short and clear again: Trello+1
Wiki/GitHub <- cant compare, no exp D:

Last edited by tamashihoshi (4 Feb 2016 22:48)

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By ShadowApex 5 Feb 2016 02:55

Lead Developer · 374 comments
Sanglorian wrote

Hi folks,

I have put together a draft wiki for this project, hosted at this address: http://tuxemon.referata.com/

Now, I know we already have a wiki attached to the GitHub, but I feel like the project's demands are too big for the GitHub wiki.

In particular, it's useful to have:

1) Clear version control. MediaWiki makes it very easy to see how an image has changed over time - see this Drokoro sprite for example: http://tuxemon.referata.com/wiki/File:D … _front.png

2) Templates for common entries (monsters, trainers, contributors, etc.)

3) Automation. If you tag images correctly, the wiki that I have set up will automatically display them in the relevant entries. It also generates automatic evolution chains (see the Hoarse line as an example: http://tuxemon.referata.com/wiki/Hoarse ). In the future, we can set it up as a database to do more advanced things.

Take a look and let me know what you think. Obviously it's not polished yet, but it should be functional.

I think MediaWiki is a good choice, but I prefer to host the project on Tuxemon's servers instead of relying on a 3rd party hosting site. The current host chosen doesn't appear to support SSL, which means that any time you log in, you're sending your credentials in plain text over the Internet.

I set up a separate MediaWiki site hosted from the tuxemon.org domain that might be better to use. You can access it here: https://wiki.tuxemon.org/

Hosting it on the tuxemon.org domain will also give us more control over its configuration such as maximum allowed file uploads, image storage, extensions, etc.

EDIT: Let me know what you think of using wiki.tuxemon.org instead. I'm open to whatever the community agrees on.

By tamashihoshi 5 Feb 2016 12:43

Champion · 251 comments

It seems a few things aren't implemented yet, like 'special pages'. Other than that I like it more than the 'referata' thing. More control = better smile
Is it okay to add Tuxemon to the wiki which are only existing in theory so far? (like sumobugs prevolution)

Something I'd like to say about the 'templates' in the referata wiki: Generally I'm a friend of templates, but I felt very limited with those templates and I didn't know how to tell the wiki "no, i dont want this page to look like this".
We should agree on a system, but still leave as much freedom as possible for the contributors to customize their tuxemon-information-page. I'd love to write lots of story behind the creatures...

Now to something else: Is Trello something which you could also host on the tuxemon servers? I'd like to try it out somehow. But if we have to do everything on Trello's page with "groups" it will be weird since we are posting CC stuff there and Im not sure how they deal with data.... nowdays people make money with everything ._.'

By josepharaoh99 5 Feb 2016 20:52

Champion · 295 comments

Very well done! This has a good look, and seems very professional! I like it smile

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By Leo 5 Feb 2016 22:17

Moderator · 70 comments

For a self-hosted Trello alternative, there's https://getskadi.com/
(I only have experience with Trello though, and it was quite practical to organize work).

tamashihoshi wrote

Is it okay to add Tuxemon to the wiki which are only existing in theory so far? (like sumobugs prevolution)

If you want, you can cut and rescale the concept to the correct size to have a temporary sprite and mark it as such (if you have time you can start cleaning a bit). It will make it a bit quicker to start editing the sprite.

By ShadowApex 5 Feb 2016 23:39

Leo wrote

For a self-hosted Trello alternative, there's https://getskadi.com/
(I only have experience with Trello though, and it was quite practical to organize work).

There's a couple of other open source Trello alternatives we could use too:

By Sanglorian 6 Feb 2016 04:28

Champion · 498 comments

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback.

Workflow organisation (Leo, tamashihoshi)

I think either this forum or a separate tool like Trello is the best fit for task management. If we created a separate section on the forum where each tuxemon had its own thread, we could keep track of the workflow and feedback there.

ShadowApex

I think MediaWiki is a good choice, but I prefer to host the project on Tuxemon's servers instead of relying on a 3rd party hosting site. The current host chosen doesn't appear to support SSL, which means that any time you log in, you're sending your credentials in plain text over the Internet.

I set up a separate MediaWiki site hosted from the tuxemon.org domain that might be better to use. You can access it here: https://wiki.tuxemon.org/

Looks good - and I see it's already got Semantic Mediawiki activated.

Do you know what the process is for migrating an SMW wiki?

tamashihoshi

It seems a few things aren't implemented yet, like 'special pages'. Other than that I like it more than the 'referata' thing. More control = better smile

Hey tamashihoshi, what's a special page?

Basically, yes, I think we should add all tuxemon to the wiki, whether they're named, sprited, etc. The naming scheme I've been using for unnamed tuxemon is "Nemo##"

The only exception I'd say is for tuxemon that aren't necessarily being developed. For example, Leo's sketch pages have multiple tuxemon, and some of them might never get made. It would be time-consuming to create a separate page for each tuxemon Leo draws, if it might never get expanded on beyond that one drawing.

Something I'd like to say about the 'templates' in the referata wiki: Generally I'm a friend of templates, but I felt very limited with those templates and I didn't know how to tell the wiki "no, i dont want this page to look like this".
We should agree on a system, but still leave as much freedom as possible for the contributors to customize their tuxemon-information-page. I'd love to write lots of story behind the creatures...

I'm happy to add all sorts of fields to the forms/templates. I think the problem you're running into is probably that the main text field only gives you a single row to write in. If it were a big open space, you'd have plenty of room for the story behind the creatures!

josepharaoh99

Very well done! This has a good look, and seems very professional! I like it

Thanks!

By Leo 6 Feb 2016 08:29

Moderator · 70 comments

Actually, everything that I put out is, I think, decent enough to be included, modulo some tweaking (you don't get every scrap, thankfully). Getting the design right and spriting are by far the slowest parts, so if there's help around those we could get to a full-fledged Dex pretty quickly.

So the question of inclusion is more 'what do we want for the game'.

@ShadowApex: Oh cool. We can certainly trust your better judgment on that.

@Sanglorian: Nice of you to tackle that! Nice work!

By ShadowApex 9 Feb 2016 01:37

Sanglorian wrote

Looks good - and I see it's already got Semantic Mediawiki activated.

Do you know what the process is for migrating an SMW wiki?

Typically we would need to perform a database dump of the original wiki and restore it to the new wiki. Since we don't have access to the database of the referata hosted wiki, we'd probably have to manually recreate all the forms and pages. Luckily I think it's early enough where recreating the pages manually won't be too painful.

tamashihoshi wrote

It seems a few things aren't implemented yet, like 'special pages'. Other than that I like it more than the 'referata' thing. More control = better

I think you got a blank page when you accessed the "Special Pages" area because of an extension I was trying to get working at the time. The extension that broke that area was the "OpenID Login" extension. I've removed it for now.

Leo wrote

@ShadowApex: Oh cool. We can certainly trust your better judgment on that.

I'll try getting an install of Wekan going and see how it works out.

By tamashihoshi 9 Feb 2016 08:08

Champion · 251 comments
ShadowApex wrote

I think you got a blank page when you accessed the "Special Pages" area because of an extension I was trying to get working at the time. The extension that broke that area was the "OpenID Login" extension. I've removed it for now.

Ah~ yeah I've had those ominous blank pages... but now it seems to work, thank you!
Good luck with "OpenID", I dunno what that is but I hope you'll manage to make it work ^_^

By ShadowApex 16 Feb 2016 01:48

@Sanglorian: I've noticed you've been continuing to update the referata-hosted wiki. Did you want to continue using that service instead of wiki.tuxemon.org? I don't mind either option, but I would want the official wiki content to not be fragmented.

I'm happy to go with whatever choice the community wants.

By Sanglorian 16 Feb 2016 04:44

Champion · 498 comments

@ShadowApex, I sent you a PM on this topic, but it might have been lost in the system somewhere.

I'm happy with us hosting the wiki, but I'd like to have the transfer process from the current (Referata) wiki automated as much as possible - I don't have the energy to recreate it all on another wiki.

Could I please have admin status on the hosted wiki so I can test out bulk uploads?

I'll keep uploading the Referata wiki until the two are synced.

By ShadowApex 16 Feb 2016 06:32

Ah, the email got lost in the depths of my inbox. Thanks smile

I went ahead and gave you admin access to the wiki. I'll take a look at some methods for scraping the current pages and images from the referata wiki and importing them into the hosted wiki.

By Sanglorian 16 Feb 2016 08:23

Champion · 498 comments
ShadowApex wrote

Ah, the email got lost in the depths of my inbox. Thanks smile

I went ahead and gave you admin access to the wiki. I'll take a look at some methods for scraping the current pages and images from the referata wiki and importing them into the hosted wiki.

Thanks mate.

Importing the pages looks pretty straightforward - I've done a few tests.

The only apparent problem so far is that the hosted wiki doesn't seem to recognise "#if" - could the ParserFunctions extension not be activated, perhaps? (See e.g. (Bear Cub))

Importing the images will be more difficult - especially since we'll ideally import their history (including previous images that have been replaced, e.g. for Legko).

By ShadowApex 17 Feb 2016 03:29

Sanglorian wrote

The only apparent problem so far is that the hosted wiki doesn't seem to recognise "#if" - could the ParserFunctions extension not be activated, perhaps? (See e.g. (Bear Cub))

Importing the images will be more difficult - especially since we'll ideally import their history (including previous images that have been replaced, e.g. for Legko).

I enabled the ParserFunctions extension. Pages appear to look good now.

By Sanglorian 17 Feb 2016 10:11

Champion · 498 comments
ShadowApex wrote
Sanglorian wrote

I enabled the ParserFunctions extension. Pages appear to look good now.

Thanks ShadowApex. That looks much better, although there is still a problem with the #set function, as seen on Propellercat's techniques

By ShadowApex 20 Feb 2016 23:39

Sanglorian wrote

Thanks ShadowApex. That looks much better, although there is still a problem with the #set function, as seen on Propellercat's techniques

I'll take a look further into getting that issue sorted out. I'm also currently working on a script that will scrape all the existing images (including image history) and image comments from the referata site. Once the images are moved over we can start using wiki.tuxemon.org and start migrating some of the pages from the GitHub wiki.

By Sanglorian 29 Apr 2016 11:39

Champion · 498 comments
ShadowApex wrote
Sanglorian wrote

I'll take a look further into getting that issue sorted out. I'm also currently working on a script that will scrape all the existing images (including image history) and image comments from the referata site. Once the images are moved over we can start using wiki.tuxemon.org and start migrating some of the pages from the GitHub wiki.

Hi ShadowApex,

Have you had any luck with this? Our Referata wiki has just reached its maximum for uploads (100 MB), so it'd be a good time to switch wikis. Otherwise, I'll ask Referata if they can do us a deal to increase our maximum.

By ShadowApex 29 Apr 2016 17:35

Sanglorian wrote

Hi ShadowApex,

Have you had any luck with this? Our Referata wiki has just reached its maximum for uploads (100 MB), so it'd be a good time to switch wikis. Otherwise, I'll ask Referata if they can do us a deal to increase our maximum.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance recently to finish the image export/import script yet. The only problem that I need to figure out is how to actually do an image upload via the MediaWiki API. Currently the script will just scrape all the images and their upload history and download them to your local machine.

You can see what I have so far in the script here: https://gist.github.com/ShadowApex/b1ad … 98451a47eb

By tamashihoshi 17 Jun 2016 20:46

Champion · 251 comments

*bump*

I hope someone is able to look into the code so we can migrate all content to the new wiki! ^_^

By ShadowApex 19 Jun 2016 23:29

I still haven't had an opportunity to work on this script. Hopefully in the next few days I can start working on this again. It'd be great to finally migrate over to a Tuxemon-hosted wiki.

By ShadowApex 29 Jul 2016 05:26

I finally finished a working script to migrate all the images (and image history) over from referata to wiki.tuxemon.org! big_smile
https://wiki.tuxemon.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

@Sanglorian
Could you take a look at the wiki and let me know if everything looks good? I'd like to move to the official wiki as soon as we can. Maybe put up a redirect on the referata wiki?