Motivation / Thanks / IRC

By tamashihoshi 8 Mar 2016 21:13

Champion · 251 comments

Hi guys!

Thanks to ShadowApex we now have a Off-Topic forum... I like it very much since this creates a way for us to know each other and bring us closer to each other a little more. (wow so romantic). Sadly I took a while to write this, since I didn't seem to have enough time and courage somehow. But let's get started with the actual content:

Motivation. What motivates you to work on tuxemon? Is there something that motivates you in general?

I often have a lack of motivaion... its this mixture of "i have no time because i have so much on my to-do-list", "i am not happy with the way i did it" and "why do i do this? it makes no sense at all.."
Also I have a big problem with rewarding myself for doing something good, instead im going pretty hard on myself when im not doing something. this makes me get stuck.

Something that helped a little was doing an actual list. At the end of a day I could stroke something from the list, and say "yes, today was a productive day" and sleep well. Didn't help very long though big_smile
A friend of mine showed me www.habitica.com which is my next try for motivation. I think it's pretty funny.. but I don't feel so well with putting information about my daily life on some web page .-.

sooo: what does that have to do with tuxemon? nothing, because its in off-topic?

Well.. erm.. I wanted to say thank you very much for how I was welcomed to tuxemon and for your great support and your thankful words! In general I love how friendly and supportive everyone is.. this is a great community and im happy to be part of it. This gives me looots of motivation which actually doesnt just boost my tuxemon-productivity but also my general productivity big_smile

And now something completely different: It took me a time to notice, tuxemon has a irc chat room.... I don't know if anyone else of you also missed it, so I'll post it here, just in case: http://www.tuxemon.org/irc.html

Thanks alot for reading all this random stuff and see you around!
- Tamashi

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By bitcraft 8 Mar 2016 21:58

Champion · 166 comments

With 4 jobs and a one-year old, I don't have much time, but what motivates me to contribute to Tuxemon is a combination of just love of tinkering with software, and satisfaction in helping and being part of a community of others.  I'm interested in game development, but don't have any skills in art or music so, I just do what I'm comfortable with.

Its wonderful to be a part of a group...even if small...especially when people work together and don't get upset easily.  Tuxemon has great artists and thoughtful people and the people are nice...I've worked in other projects and people can be super annoying, unhelpful, or even mean, and you don't find that here.  big_smile

I'm also in the IRC channel most of the time....I just leave it open on my home computer.  Thanks for opening the discussion and I have enjoyed becoming a part of the team as well.

By tamashihoshi 8 Mar 2016 22:08

Champion · 251 comments
bitcraft wrote

I'm interested in game development, but don't have any skills in art or music so, I just do what I'm comfortable with.

As the disgusting creep I am, I already looked a little in your github repos... pretty interesting stuff big_smile

I've started to learn pygame myself now and I hope I will be able to make some cool stuff as you did. Also your pyscroll might become useful.... hehehe tongue

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By Sanglorian 9 Mar 2016 07:42

Champion · 491 comments

My motivation is that I want to see a commons flourishing, so everyone can participate and build upon our shared culture and knowledge.

In particular, there are so many fakemon and Pokemon ROM hacks and fan games and so on, and it seems like there's a real opportunity to create a "FreeDex" that all can contribute to and take from.

By tamashihoshi 9 Mar 2016 09:25

Champion · 251 comments
Sanglorian wrote

My motivation is that I want to see a commons flourishing, so everyone can participate and build upon our shared culture and knowledge.
In particular, there are so many fakemon and Pokemon ROM hacks and fan games and so on, and it seems like there's a real opportunity to create a "FreeDex" that all can contribute to and take from.

The fakemon and pokemon rom hack part is something I didn't notice until now because I didn't bother with pokemon.. but now that im part of tuxemon i see so many of those yikes im pretty sure the tuxemon project will give all those fan-pokemon a big boost!

Im also pretty intrested if and how much http://time.com/4028944/pokemon-real-life this will influence the pokemon fanbase

By ShadowApex 9 Mar 2016 19:54

Lead Developer · 374 comments

Thanks for starting this topic tamashihoshi!

There's quite a few things that motivate me to work on Tuxemon:

• It's awesome to be apart of a community working together to make something great.
  • I love working on games, software, and promoting free and open source software and culture.
  • I'd love to have an open source project that kids and others interested in software development can look to to learn more about technology.
  • I love the challenge of figuring out some of the same issues and challenges that the original Pokemon developers had to figure out.

By Sanglorian 10 Mar 2016 12:44

Champion · 491 comments
ShadowApex wrote

Thanks for starting this topic tamashihoshi!

There's quite a few things that motivate me to work on Tuxemon:

• I love the challenge of figuring out some of the same issues and challenges that the original Pokemon developers had to figure out.

Yeah, it's been very interesting to see how simple Nintendo made it all look, but then how elegant and carefully prepared it is below the surface.

For example, I keep coming back to the way Pokemon did types. They actually fitted an awful lot of information about the world, metaphysics, the food web, etc, in those types.

By tamashihoshi 19 May 2016 22:40

Champion · 251 comments
ShadowApex wrote

I'd love to have an open source project that kids and others interested in software development can look to to learn more about technology.

Now* that you mention it, I keep telling people of Tuxemon.. Some people start to learn python or do other stuff, where I always mention this project. Python is a great language for people to join since you can read the code easily... which makes live projects interesting even for beginners. I myself didn't do much programming, but I've already looked through the code a few times and the more often I look at the code the more I like python and pygame kinda big_smile
that "SAVETHISFUCKINGSCREEN" variable made me laugh though... I will miss it.

*late reply -> "now" is relative...

By tamashihoshi 19 May 2016 22:52

Champion · 251 comments
Sanglorian wrote
ShadowApex wrote

Yeah, it's been very interesting to see how simple Nintendo made it all look, but then how elegant and carefully prepared it is below the surface.

For example, I keep coming back to the way Pokemon did types. They actually fitted an awful lot of information about the world, metaphysics, the food web, etc, in those types.

That's one of the reasons why I enjoy retro games. Lots of games have lots of background information "hidden" subtly. May it be lots of thoughts put into types in pokemon, or palettes changing when walking into a different area..

A different example for "hidden information" is everytime when Megaman defeats Wily... Wily always escapes, and I do NOT think that wily is good at escaping but megaman lets him flee...
it looks like a simple "he gets away with it" but to me it was always a combination of "wily is a human - megaman doesnt attack humans" and "wily kinda worked with light on megaman". That makes things complicated of course, and since megaman is alone in front of wily, wily can talk and influence megaman to make megaman hesitate... giving wily enough time to escape. (bla bla bla bla...)

By xirsoi 20 May 2016 23:24

Champion · 66 comments

I don't get many interesting programming challenges at work.
I've always wanted to contribute to open source.
I've always wanted to have a Pokemon style game with some different design decisions, a completed Tuxemon would be a great base for that.

I'm actually using Tuxemon as motivation to learn Python, lol.

By tamashihoshi 21 May 2016 17:20

Champion · 251 comments
xirsoi wrote

I'm actually using Tuxemon as motivation to learn Python, lol.

yay! awesome!  happy
I hope you're having fun, and that you can soon contribute cool stuff to the project :3

By dulsi 23 Jul 2016 20:29

Member · 27 comments

My motivation in helping is that my son's are interested in Pokemon. They play SuperTux instead of Super Mario Brothers and Minetest instead of Minecraft.

I personally have never played a Pokemon game and don't really know too much about them.

By Sanglorian 23 Jul 2016 23:52

Champion · 491 comments
dulsi wrote

My motivation in helping is that my son's are interested in Pokemon. They play SuperTux instead of Super Mario Brothers and Minetest instead of Minecraft.

I personally have never played a Pokemon game and don't really know too much about them.

That's so sweet! You should get them to design some monsters and maybe we can put them in the game.

By tamashihoshi 25 Jul 2016 19:58

Champion · 251 comments
Sanglorian wrote
dulsi wrote

That's so sweet! You should get them to design some monsters and maybe we can put them in the game.

indeed, really sweet yikes
+1 on Sanglorians suggestion