Tuxberries and Tuxfruit, Cooking in game

By josepharaoh99 8 Mar 2016 22:56

Champion · 295 comments

Another GENIUS idea  big_smile
What if in Tuxemon, like in Pokemon, you could pick berries and fruit and other stuff and cook recipes with them (or feed them to your Tuxemon).
I had an idea for one mission to get an item to let you into a PILLAR. You meet this OLD LADY who says, "I want a pie! Will you make me a pie?" If you say yes, she tells you to go behind her house and pick some berries. Then she tells you how to make a pie. When you try to give it to her, she says, "I don't want a pie after all. Here, you can have this pie!" Then you can use it to get past an ENFORCER.
So, to do this, we'd need some world sprites and a world sprite generator function. We'd also need a RANDOM_SPAWN_SPRITE function to spawn random fruit on the screen (and you would set on what type of tiles it could spawn on.
And later you would get a recipe book to make new recipes with. This adds fun for all those cooking fans big_smile
So, whaddya think?

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By bitcraft 9 Mar 2016 03:01

Champion · 166 comments

Cooking and crafting would be fun!  Just don't count on it being implemented right away. smile

By ShadowApex 9 Mar 2016 19:47

Lead Developer · 374 comments

I also think this would be a cool mechanic, but far down on the feature list... If someone wants to try and implement it sooner I'd be happy to make sure it's accepted smile

By josepharaoh99 11 Mar 2016 23:34

Champion · 295 comments

Hey guys, I've been working on some sprites. To be on the map, they will probably have to be resized, but what do you think?
8SNd2cS.png
bMC8cjA.png
9Bf7NIh.png

Multiple Media Producer

By josepharaoh99 14 Mar 2016 22:43

Champion · 295 comments

Orange!
Uda4hIX.png

Multiple Media Producer

By Sanglorian 15 Mar 2016 03:01

Champion · 491 comments

Hey josepharaoh99,

Thanks for working on these. I have two suggestions:

1) Make them 24x24 pixels, so they can be used as regular item sprites
2) Follow the same style with the items as you would with a tuxemon. For example, all our tuxemon have outlines, but these fruits don't.

By josepharaoh99 21 Mar 2016 22:14

Champion · 295 comments

Here you are! Now they don't seem to look as good. What do you think?
lH7prlB.png
zioxS4w.png
WQTI7bf.png
QOCWaYD.png
q4FEYAS.png
Yeah, I added a banana, but it doesn't look very good.

Last edited by josepharaoh99 (21 Mar 2016 22:19)

Multiple Media Producer

By Sanglorian 22 Mar 2016 10:58

Champion · 491 comments

Hey josepharaoh99,

I think you're on the right track, but there's a few more tweaks you can do.

Even our monster sprites usually have dark grey rather than black borders, and with items I think we can go even lighter.

You're also using quite strong colours, and a variety of colours to create a smoother effect. Our palette tends towards fewer, more pastel and milder colours. What I did was look at the Pokemon item sprites, find ones with similar colours to what I wanted, and then finding their closest matches in our palette.

I applied those two tricks (and then adjusted the shapes a little where the new colours/outline seemed to need it) to some of your sprites:

APPLE_2.png
BANANA_2.png
ORANGE_2.png

What do you think?

By josepharaoh99 23 Mar 2016 22:21

Champion · 295 comments

Very good job, Sanglorian! You have been very helpful to me!
I fixed TuxBerry and TuxCherry a little bit
34e5KGY.png
JwADhoP.png
I also made the TuxCoconut.
T7FiZjz.png
A good base palette, but it needs to look more fibrous and woody. Any ideas or pointers?

Multiple Media Producer

By Sanglorian 15 Apr 2016 23:37

Champion · 491 comments

I had an idea for the fruit - what if they replaced Pokemon's Vitamins? So oranges might permanently boost DEF EVs, bananas HP EVs, etc. Alternatively, they could be temporary boosts, like the battle items.

By josepharaoh99 18 Apr 2016 22:51

Champion · 295 comments
Sanglorian wrote

I had an idea for the fruit - what if they replaced Pokemon's Vitamins? So oranges might permanently boost DEF EVs, bananas HP EVs, etc. Alternatively, they could be temporary boosts, like the battle items.

Good idea Sanglorian! Currently the ones added have a weak potion effect, but I figure they could easily be configured to have a vitamin effect! Thanks for your idea! big_smile

Multiple Media Producer

By josepharaoh99 13 Jul 2016 19:34

Champion · 295 comments

Showing progress on the strawberry: ExUm1so.png

Multiple Media Producer

By bitcraft 18 Jul 2016 04:48

Champion · 166 comments

I like the idea that fruit will boost monster attributes.  Right now I don't see an easy way to make temporary boosts, but permanent boosts shouldn't take much work.  Great work on the sprites!

By josepharaoh99 30 Jul 2016 01:40

Champion · 295 comments

Found some more food in the CatchChallenger link Sanglorian gave:
https://github.com/alphaonex86/CatchCha … items/food
xmascake.png
pielima.png
marshmallow.png
I don't know, maybe you can milk a Tuxemon?!!
milk.png

Last edited by josepharaoh99 (30 Jul 2016 01:40)

Multiple Media Producer

By Sanglorian 30 Jul 2016 01:58

Champion · 491 comments

Yes I thought of you josepharaoh99 when I saw those sprites! But also, you talked about picking berries - look at all the berry plants they've sprited: https://github.com/alphaonex86/CatchCha … ack/plants

E.g.
2.png?raw=true

By lukejodonnell 31 Jul 2016 02:51

Member · 10 comments

I was checking out the CatchChallenger game that was mentioned previously in the forum.  In that game there are plots of earth where it appears you can plant seeds.  What do you guys think about a similar feature where you can grow berries (or maybe even a few plant based tuxemon if we're feeling really adventurous)

By bitcraft 2 Aug 2016 17:28

Champion · 166 comments

I really love Harvest Moon, and it could be fun to have some sandbox elements like farming in Tuxemon.  I will say that right now, it would be very difficult to integrate something like that in Tuxemon, but we could keep a dialog going about it and make plans for how it would work.

By Sanglorian 2 Aug 2016 22:57

Champion · 491 comments

I definitely think we should keep a dialogue going. Even if we don't fit it into this game, we'll be finished with this game some day and may want to expand the Tuxemon universe in a different direction.

So some things I'd be interested in talking about are:
1. What's the simplest application of this idea? and
2. What's the most robust application of this idea? and
3. What benefit would implementing this idea have?

So I think the simplest application is having plants already existing in the world, that when picked reset to their earliest stage, and that grow based on time passed/steps walked.

Then really robust would be a whole mini-farming sim, with tuxemon in paddocks etc.

In our draft plot, we have several times when the protagonist returns to places he/she has already been. So if he/she picked the plants on his/her first time through, they'd've grown back by the same he/she comes by again. That's a nice touch, I think, and gives the player a bit of a boost.

So I think even implementing this concept at its most simple could be very rewarding.

One thing ShadowApex mentioned as being a concern is that if there's a finite amount of money in the world (X number of trainers, you get a certain amount of money for defeating each one), a player might run out and find the game very difficult. The existence of these plants would help, because if all else failed you could leave your game running for X hours, then pick all the seeds, and sell them for some money. (There are a few other ways of fixing this as well, like allowing players to have re-matches with trainers they already fought).

By bitcraft 3 Aug 2016 03:46

Champion · 166 comments

1. What's the simplest application of this idea?

I don't think a whole farming clone of Harvest Moon fits the direction of the game, but having flower pots or planters...designated areas...for things to grow will fit better.  Maybe even a green house, but not a field or anything.

2. What's the most robust application of this idea?

At risk of becoming a time management game like farm ville, maybe expanding the "start something, wait, return and collect" mechanic to egg hatcheries, the fusion device.  There could be a game item that requires power, so maybe it needs game time to recharge.

3. What benefit would implementing this idea have?

Giving the player a little extra side work is good overall, especially if it awards some bonus like cash or xp, to reduce the grind.  For map designers, we could incorporate elements of the map or story that change when you return to collect your growing plats/items/TXMN.

By josepharaoh99 4 Aug 2016 17:25

Champion · 295 comments

Back again from a camping trip!!

Sanglorian wrote

Yes I thought of you josepharaoh99 when I saw those sprites!

Haha, that's funny. big_smile

I like the bushes in CaCh (Catch Challenger)! They look great, and we should probably use them for berries and related food.

lukejodonnel wrote

I was checking out the CatchChallenger game that was mentioned previously in the forum.  In that game there are plots of earth where it appears you can plant seeds.  What do you guys think about a similar feature where you can grow berries (or maybe even a few plant based tuxemon if we're feeling really adventurous)

Yeah, I think you should be able to do that for sure.

I'm not so sure we should do a full out farm thingy, unless it's an optional mod to download.

Sanglorian wrote

One thing ShadowApex mentioned as being a concern is that if there's a finite amount of money in the world (X number of trainers, you get a certain amount of money for defeating each one), a player might run out and find the game very difficult. The existence of these plants would help, because if all else failed you could leave your game running for X hours, then pick all the seeds, and sell them for some money. (There are a few other ways of fixing this as well, like allowing players to have re-matches with trainers they already fought).

I've thought about this, also.   1. Rematches should be allowed in some cases.   2. Each town should have jobs for you to do to earn extra money.    3. Fulfilled goals should give extra money (and maybe even Tuxemon XP).

bitcraft wrote

Giving the player a little extra side work is good overall, especially if it awards some bonus like cash or xp, to reduce the grind.  For map designers, we could incorporate elements of the map or story that change when you return to collect your growing plats/items/TXMN.

I totally agree, Leif.

Last edited by josepharaoh99 (4 Aug 2016 17:26)

Multiple Media Producer

By Sanglorian 6 Aug 2016 06:26

Champion · 491 comments

Okay, how's this for a plan to introduce simple farming:

* Consumable items are mostly fruit, vegetables, seeds, and so on. For example, instead of an ANTIDOTE, we could have an ANTIDOTE APPLE. Instead of CURE BURN, we could have BURNBALM MELON.
* There are fertile patches scattered around the world, especially in your backyard.
* When you acquire the HOE item, you can hoe a fertile patch.
* You can plant a fruit/vegetable/seed, etc., in the hoed patch.
* After X steps, the seed grows into the next stage. After another X steps, it grows into the next stage, and so on until you reach the final stage.
* If you have a WATERING CAN, you can water each patch. That halves the number of steps it takes until it grows into the next stage (then it dries out and has to be watered again for the next stage).
* Then if you have a SCYTHE you can harvest the plant, and get multiple copies of whatever item you planted in the first place. The patch becomes bare, waiting to be hoed again.

What do people think of this? It seems like a limited but useful way to introduce farming.

By bitcraft 6 Aug 2016 14:18

Champion · 166 comments

Lori, I like the idea of acquiring items first before being able to farm/plant things.  I also like the plant items could be used in place of "normal" consumables, but I think it would be odd to replace all consumables with plant versions.

By josepharaoh99 7 Aug 2016 02:03

Champion · 295 comments

Sounds good to me

Multiple Media Producer

By tamashihoshi 7 Aug 2016 11:45

Champion · 251 comments
bitcraft wrote

Lori, I like the idea of acquiring items first before being able to farm/plant things.  I also like the plant items could be used in place of "normal" consumables, but I think it would be odd to replace all consumables with plant versions.

I too think, replacing everything is a bit much..

in real life, we have multiple things to cure something...

one way is: just wait. if its nothing bad, itll go away.
same with tuxemon: if your tuxemon has paralysis or is sleeping, you can also wait until it wakes up or the paralysis goes away

another way is: medicine
that stuff is strong. it will heal you pretty fast. the bad thing is: if you use a wrong dosis, you might get a different sickness
a possible way for tuxemon: antidote will cure poison instantly. but if you use antidote on a healthy tuxemon, that one will get sick.
also: if your tuxemon gets poisoned during a battle multiple times, and you keep curing the poison with the medicine, your tuxemon might get paralyzed, or the medicine doesnt work as good as before (chance reduced to cure poison)

a third way is: "natural" medicine
that stuff isnt very strong, it will heal you slowly. the good thing is, its not removing the problem. it makes your body stronger, so that you can deal with the problem yourself. long term, you will get a healthier person and the chance to get sick in the future lowers.
a possible way for tuxemon could be: if you use a antidote berry, your tuxemon might not get cured (40% chance for cure as an example) but if it works, your tuxemon will get sligtly resistent to poison. so during that battle, if you cure yourself with a berry, the chance to get poisoned is strongly reduced.
also the berry might heal your tuxemon a slightly little bit.

- - - -

if we do this, we have multiple ways to deal with status problems, as in real life.
if you need something strong, instantly (your tuxemon doesnt have much health, the poison will knock it out soon), you use a antidote flask
if you know that you will use your tuxemon for a longer time, and you know that your oponent might use poison as an example soon again, you use a berry. might work, might now, but IF it does, your tuxemon will definitely feel better long-term

thoughts on that? ^^

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By Sanglorian 16 Aug 2016 23:57

Champion · 491 comments

Just for fun, here's my mock-up of what a Tuxemon Harvest Moon-style game might look like:

Tuxemon_harvest.png