native touch and mouse input

By benneti 10 Mar 2016 16:32

Member · 38 comments

I hope that tuxemon will become an awesome game and every awesome game needs a nice gameplay, so here are some ideas how touch input could work on the world (if you replace swipes with scrolling maybe for a mouse , too).
I'm currently reading through dive into python and will try to help with an implementation after this.
What do you think of this kind of control and what would you do differently?
(I hope the big pictures make no problems  big_smile )

GKytU4C.png

• swipe to the left to open the menu
  • (not the border more in the center of the screen, some OS's or DE's reserve swipes from borders)

mwKw0qN.png

• tap on the stairs (1) to go there and then downstairs
  • tap on the black/not reachable place (2) nothing happens
  • tap on the plant (3) go there and interact with it (maybe a second click to interact?)
  • tap on a reachable sprite (4) go there

BRUH9P9.png

• when interacting:
  • click anywhere (1,2,3) to get to the next text (if there is one)
  • click and hold could skip the text?
  • swiping could show previous text?

mflpk8c.png
  • tap on the tile before the door to exit

wwuk1ek.png

• tap in an open door to enter a house

oQVPlj0.jpg

• tap on a tile of the same type (1) to prefer this type
  • tap on another tile (2,3) to go there (some algorithm is needed, maybe differentiation of double tap and one tap)
  • tap on the end of a map (4) to change it to the next one
  • tap between tiles (5) one of the tiles has to be chosen (randomly or the one wich is pressen "more"

ppT65jQ.jpg

• tap on a tile without a visible way to it (1,2) do nothing

By Hugop 10 Mar 2016 17:20

Member · 19 comments

I don't like the idea of "click to move there" because I prefer controls and don't want to go to the wrong place . For the menu and interaction, that would be nice features.

Last edited by Hugop (10 Mar 2016 17:29)

By benneti 10 Mar 2016 18:34

Member · 38 comments

I think to have the choice would be the way to go as probably more people dislike this kind of input but this should be no problem as an overlay is already implemented.
I would prefer this on a phone, because I can see the complete game most of the time and have no control elements steal my screen place  big_smile (on a PC or with a controller this would make no sense)

By bitcraft 11 Mar 2016 21:56

Champion · 166 comments

With the pathfinding already implemented, "click to move" could be done.  I do prefer click/tap to move, but in some cases, a screen overlay is better.  I think that we could implement them both, eventually.

Edge swiping would be problematic, so I think that a button on the overlay for it would be fine.

Last edited by bitcraft (11 Mar 2016 21:57)

By benneti 11 Mar 2016 22:47

Member · 38 comments

Thanks for this info and thats good to know smile, could you give me a point where i as a relative beginner could help? What do you mean with edge swiping, i meant that the swipe should happen more centered to not interfere with the system.

By josepharaoh99 14 Mar 2016 22:04

Champion · 295 comments

I like the idea to be able to tap on a tile to go to it. Regular arrow controls should definitely be kept too.  wink

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By bitcraft 19 Mar 2016 01:10

Champion · 166 comments

Swiping from an edge is reserved on top and bottom on ios and i'm sure that it is also forbidden on android as well.  Even windows 10 has edge swiping gestures.  As a beginner, you could do some brainstorming or document an API.  Take a look at the Kivy API for some ideas.

By tamashihoshi 19 Mar 2016 02:33

Champion · 251 comments
benneti wrote

• swipe to the left to open the menu
  • (not the border more in the center of the screen, some OS's or DE's reserve swipes from borders)

bitcraft wrote

Swiping from an edge is reserved on top and bottom on ios and i'm sure that it is also forbidden on android as well.  Even windows 10 has edge swiping gestures.

i dont see where benneti talks about edge swiping.. benneti even wrote "not the border" aka "not the edge", so you're both talking about the same, arent you? yikes

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By benneti 19 Mar 2016 09:36

Member · 38 comments

I think so, too

By bitcraft 21 Mar 2016 22:20

Champion · 166 comments

Ok, thanks for clarifying.  Swiping to open a menu might seem too hidden to figure out.  I would prefer a button to open a menu.

By benneti 22 Mar 2016 17:44

Member · 38 comments

i think this could be mentioned when changing the input and it is pretty normal on touch based games on mobile platforms, for the api i will look at it and try it, never done this before big_smile