Tuxemon gender

By tamashihoshi 20 May 2016 13:59

Champion · 251 comments

(Not sure if this is the right place for the thread, move if it's wrong!)

Will there be "different" tuxemon for different genders?
I don't really want to know anything about how tuxemon are reproducing themselves ._. but i guess there are male and female rockkitten. Will we only have "genderless" tuxemon? Or will we do something different?

A 1-char variable could save the gender of the tuxemon and could decide which sprite or palette to use... but there's no need to make any big difference between genders

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By xirsoi 20 May 2016 23:21

Champion · 66 comments

It would be a shame to not include Tuxemon breeding mechanics (one of my favorite additions in the gen2 Pokemon games), and having gender is a necessary stat.

It could certainly be interesting to have sexual dimorphism though, like with Mr Mime and Jynx from Pokemon (or, more obviously, the Nidoran).

By tamashihoshi 21 May 2016 17:11

Champion · 251 comments
xirsoi wrote

It could certainly be interesting to have sexual dimorphism though

"sexual dimorphism" - that's the word! Thank you!
It would be pretty interesting to think up reasons for sexual dimorphisms and add them to the ingame tuxepedia.. there'd be much more depth about how the tuxemon actually live.

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By ShadowApex 22 May 2016 17:08

Lead Developer · 374 comments

I think Tuxemon genders makes sense, especially if we're going to implement breeding. We can add a gender property to the Monster class and handle the sprite(s) differently based on that property. While I think having different sprites/pallets for different genders sounds good, I don't think it's a very high priority at this stage, but feel free to make new sprites/pull requests if that's what interests you!

By Sanglorian 23 May 2016 12:37

Champion · 491 comments

Different palettes keeps it pretty easy - for example, some of the creatures on the wiki already have "shiny" sprites that could get repurposed as male/female sprites.

Longer term it'd be nice to have variations for other reasons - location captured, whichever season it is, whether it's night or day, etc. But no urgent need for it, I feel.