Tuxemon Medals/Goals/Objectives

By josepharaoh99 27 May 2016 19:20

Champion · 295 comments

Hey, guys. Recently I got a cool idea about Tuxemon-what if you could receive awards and medals for achieving special goals? You know, for example, you win 25 battles and get a medal for it, describing your achievment. Of course, a whole new interface would have to be made, but here's a start:
odKdsV2.png

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By xirsoi 28 May 2016 04:11

Champion · 66 comments

So, in-game achievements?

Sounds neat.

By tamashihoshi 29 May 2016 20:35

Champion · 251 comments

I'd be careful about achievements. The "you won 25 battles" style achievements are pretty overused in all those indie games or flash games or also triple-A games...
IF we do achievements they should be REALLY special.

Maybe instead of doing it over the interface we could simply have some kind of special items you can get when doing special stuff. Would be an alternative type of achievements, maybe more in the direction of geo-caching...

To be a little more concrete: what i personally dont like that much about achievements is, that they are not hard to achieve but they are many. the hard part about achieving achievements is getting enough time for them. but tuxemon will already cost lots of time by it self, since you have loooots of tuxemon to catch and level up... the achievements should not hinder the gameplay or game flow in any way

although... maybe im thinking too much about this... if you see no danger in achievements, ignore my post here haha ^^'

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By Sanglorian 30 May 2016 08:15

Champion · 491 comments

I too am a bit wary of achievements.

I don't like achievements that reward repetitive or tedious behaviour, like collecting all X or doing Y 50 times or that sort of thing. But what could be very cool is achievements that encourage doing interesting and unusual things, like:

1. Completing the game only ever using monsters of a particular Type
2. Win a battle against a trainer using 6 monsters while just using one monster
3. Win a battle against a trainer, all of whose monsters are higher level than yours

etc.

I like these achievements because they encourage creative thinking, risk taking, playing the game differently.

By tamashihoshi 30 May 2016 20:44

Champion · 251 comments
Sanglorian wrote

(...)
1. Completing the game only ever using monsters of a particular Type
2. Win a battle against a trainer using 6 monsters while just using one monster

Believe it or not but I had the exact same achievements in mind xD
I am pro encouraging achievements! viva la unsual gaming style!

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By ShadowApex 1 Jun 2016 00:56

Lead Developer · 374 comments

I think in-game achievements would be cool to have. I also agree with you Sanglorian that most of the achievements should be something unique.

In regards to the actual implementation of an achievement system, this could be something that we could integrate directly into the game or through a 3rd party API such as Valve's Steamworks if we decide to put Tuxemon on Steam. There's a Python library called SteamworksForPython that could allow us to use Steam's achievement system in Tuxemon.

By xirsoi 3 Jun 2016 04:40

Champion · 66 comments

Does the engine currently support an event system?
I think the best way to implement an in-game achievement system would be to have them triggered by certain conditions and thusly awarded. The event could then apply the SteamWorks achievement if a Steam account is currently logged in (disclosure: I have no idea how SteamWorks 'works' under the hood).

This way, everyone can get achievements (even those who hate Steam, most of whom are FOSS advocates), and some people can brag about them on Steam, AND we don't need to have it built differently for Steam users.

By josepharaoh99 6 Jun 2016 16:18

Champion · 295 comments

I like these ideas! I agree that objectives should be unique, unusual ones, not ones just anybody could think of. So, you guys keep thinking, and I will try to think of some too! Thanks  big_smile

Multiple Media Producer

By ShadowApex 7 Jun 2016 21:52

Lead Developer · 374 comments
xirsoi wrote

Does the engine currently support an event system?
I think the best way to implement an in-game achievement system would be to have them triggered by certain conditions and thusly awarded. The event could then apply the SteamWorks achievement if a Steam account is currently logged in (disclosure: I have no idea how SteamWorks 'works' under the hood).

This way, everyone can get achievements (even those who hate Steam, most of whom are FOSS advocates), and some people can brag about them on Steam, AND we don't need to have it built differently for Steam users.

I agree and think this is probably the best option. Tuxemon does have an event system and it could be used for in-game achievements that could optionally tie in to Steam.

By josepharaoh99 4 Aug 2016 17:34

Champion · 295 comments

I had an idea while on a trip - what if fulfilled goals give, as an award, cash and maybe Tuxemon XP and other goodies?

Goal examples:

(Yeah, some of my titles are boring. Any suggestions?)

1. Completing the game only ever using monsters of a particular Type (Sanglorian's) (Title: "??" ;   Reward: $150; 75 xp per Tuxemon of the given type
2. Win a battle against a trainer using 6 monsters while just using one monster (Sanglorian's) (Title: "One-Armed Fighter"? ;   Reward: $100; 150 xp for fighting Tuxemon
3. Win a battle against a trainer, all of whose monsters are higher level than yours (Sanglorian's)  (Title: "Against the Odds Fighter"?   Reward: $150; 75 xp per fighting Tuxemon
4. Sleep fifty times.   Title: "Sleepy Head"   Reward: $200;  50 xp per currently held Tuxemon?
5. Catch fifteen bugs (or ten of the same Tuxemon)   Title: "Bug Master"   Reward: $125; 35 xp per bug?
6. Lose five battles in a row.   Title: "Cool Loser"   Reward: $350;  100 xp per currently held Tuxemon
7. Find five hidden items.  Title: "Treasure Hunter"   Reward: $100; 5 LVL UP CANDIES.

Any input or critique?

Last edited by josepharaoh99 (4 Aug 2016 17:35)

Multiple Media Producer

By bitcraft 4 Aug 2016 19:28

Champion · 166 comments

Achievements would be nice.  As others have said, I don't think they should be very common.  Even if we don't have steam integration right way (someday would be nice!), I think most games there have a good balance and we should choose what to reward the player with as if we had steam integration.

For players who are interested in statistics, we could compile a list somewhere (wiki?) and include a stats screen.  Battle won, lost, win/loss record with monsters, etc.

Jospeh, I think you are on the right track with yours.  I wouldn't stress too much right now, since we are still missing core gameplay elements.

By tamashihoshi 4 Aug 2016 19:31

Champion · 251 comments
josepharaoh99 wrote

I had an idea while on a trip - what if fulfilled goals give, as an award, cash and maybe Tuxemon XP and other goodies?

Goal examples:

(Yeah, some of my titles are boring. Any suggestions?)

1. Completing the game only ever using monsters of a particular Type (Sanglorian's) (Title: "??" ;   Reward: $150; 75 xp per Tuxemon of the given type
2. Win a battle against a trainer using 6 monsters while just using one monster (Sanglorian's) (Title: "One-Armed Fighter"? ;   Reward: $100; 150 xp for fighting Tuxemon
3. Win a battle against a trainer, all of whose monsters are higher level than yours (Sanglorian's)  (Title: "Against the Odds Fighter"?   Reward: $150; 75 xp per fighting Tuxemon
4. Sleep fifty times.   Title: "Sleepy Head"   Reward: $200;  50 xp per currently held Tuxemon?
5. Catch fifteen bugs (or ten of the same Tuxemon)   Title: "Bug Master"   Reward: $125; 35 xp per bug?
6. Lose five battles in a row.   Title: "Cool Loser"   Reward: $350;  100 xp per currently held Tuxemon
7. Find five hidden items.  Title: "Treasure Hunter"   Reward: $100; 5 LVL UP CANDIES.

Any input or critique?

sounds a lil like the achievement thing.
but with xp.

question:
"Completing the game only ever using monsters of a particular Type"
-> Now.. I've completed the game. and i get xp.... what do i do with that xp? i mean... im... finished with the game, right?

i find it a problem to add goals with rewards... as an example, you will not know when you have reached the "sleep 50 times" goal, unless you are weird enough to count everytime you sleep yikes
possible negative outcomes:

a) ignore the goal
if it happens its nice, if it doesnt, it doesnt matter -> unneeded feature?

b) carry tuxemon with low xp with you
you are carrying weak or low level tuxemon with you, in case you get an award. not sure if you get it though... -> annoying feature?

c) achievement hunter / i want all rewards!!!
(gotta goal em all!)
you will do anything to get all rewards in your playthrough. maybe thats not even possible, you might find out too late (use only one type) -> frustrating feature?

sorry if what i wrote is too negative, thats only my opinion. because i'd be the category a) type of person big_smile

i havent played much pokemon but.. does pokemon have things like.. quests and stuff? is it THAT rpg?

- - - - -

a way i would find this okay is the following:
remember the poke maniac guy from pokemon blue? (not sure if thats his name)
we could add a similar npc... who... well... wants weird things. its the achievement maniac

very rough and basic story:
there is this the achievement maniac.. he is a rather old person who is still young in his/her soul. but a little old.
his/her dream was not to rescue the tuxemon world, not to become a good trainer or anything like that...
instead, s/he wanted to experience and do things, what other people didnt do.
like having a tuxemon at high lvl, but make it evolve.
like fighting a water-tuxemon trainer with fire-tuxemon.
like giving a dog-type tuxemon to a cat-tuxemon trainer.

with his/her age the achievement maniac was not able to fulfill all wishes s/he had. all that's left are memories, and a book of goals that s/he havent got a chance to reach in their life.
a little like prof oak giving away 2 of is last 3 pokemon in pokemon blue...
the achievement maniac could give away his/her book of wishes...

whenever you fulfill a wish, you can contact the achievement maniac and s/he gives you something for doing that. because.... s/he likes you that much.

(PS: im thinking out load, i guess you can see that from all that text above)

By tamashihoshi 4 Aug 2016 19:34

Champion · 251 comments
bitcraft wrote

For players who are interested in statistics, we could compile a list somewhere (wiki?) and include a stats screen.  Battle won, lost, win/loss record with monsters, etc.

http://te4.org/game-statistics <- something like that maybe? big_smile

(I'd love to have an option to disable it though. im so bad, its embarassing.)

By josepharaoh99 5 Aug 2016 01:05

Champion · 295 comments
tamashihoshi wrote

sorry if what i wrote is too negative, thats only my opinion. because i'd be the category a) type of person big_smile

Ah, no sweat.

XP is automatically added to Tuxemon.

The game counts how many times you sleep, and a dialog box pops up when you fulfill a goal, telling what you did, your title, and your reward.

It's just to make people play creatively.

The achievment maniac idea is pretty interested. What do you other guys think?

Multiple Media Producer

By Sanglorian 6 Aug 2016 03:33

Champion · 491 comments

I think tamashihoshi's Achievement Maniac is an excellent way of implementing josepharaoh99's ideas in the game.

However, I think we should distinguish the different kinds of goals that players can have:

1. To complete the game using a particular playstyle. For example, the Nuzlocke challenge or completing the game using only one type of tuxemon. These can't be done through the Achievement Maniac, but maybe players could select a play style before they begin the game.

2. Challenges. These make a task more difficult in some way. For example, the One-Armed Fighter and the Against the Odds Fighter.

3. Numerical Records. For example, catching 15 bugs or searching 100 rubbish bins or sleeping 50 times, or ... They're not necessarily difficult, and you may not even notice that you're doing them.

I think (2) are the best for the Achievement Maniac's book of wishes, but we could have some of type (3) as well. And a lot of type (3) become type (2) when a time limit is involved: catch 15 bugs in 10 hours or whatever.

By tamashihoshi 7 Aug 2016 11:29

Champion · 251 comments
Sanglorian wrote

(...)
1. To complete the game using a particular playstyle. For example, the Nuzlocke challenge or completing the game using only one type of tuxemon. These can't be done through the Achievement Maniac, but maybe players could select a play style before they begin the game.
(...)
I think (2) are the best for the Achievement Maniac's book of wishes, but we could have some of type (3) as well. And a lot of type (3) become type (2) when a time limit is involved: catch 15 bugs in 10 hours or whatever.

about your first point:

i would, again, try to put it into the story somehow.. personally, i dont like that much "out of the game" settings so i like avoiding things like that
(like you start a game, but before anything happens you select the difficulty or so.. i find it cooler to implement such a selection into the story)
but thats, again, just my opinion... i dont mind if we make it that way tongue

anyways, here is another idea im gonna throw in big_smile

-looks up the story lori summed up in the wiki-
"If you wander around town, you might meet the RIVALS' DAD (filling you in on Pillars), or see the Riverboat Station or Daycare Centre (introducing these places in anticipation of later)"

when meeting rivals dad, you only have ONE tuxemon so far, the one you got from the rubbish. this means, you are still able to do the nuzlocke challenge and the "only one type" challenge etc..
rivals dad could tell you about the legendary nuzlocke, a great trainer who took on with the cathedral a long time ago but suddenly vanished. what was left is just a story of him, also the way he trained.
if the player wants to, rivals dad could tell more about the rules of nuzlocke, introducing the nuzlocke challenge. the player could show interest in the nuzlocke challenge
RIVALS DAD: Some people thought he was crazy, but some seeked the challenge and tried to live the way he did
RIVALS DAD: Now that you have a tuxemon, will you decide to go by his rules?
>YES NO
RIVALS DAD: I wish you good luck then, I have heard its very hard
(or)
YES >NO
RIVALS DAD: Freedom is something nice we don't want to give up

When you say no, nothing changes.
when you say yes, the following happens:

when walking around, suddenly someone whispers to you "hey you! come over here!"
then someone behind a building shows up (he was hiding)
JOHNSON (yeah i know, john locke...): I see it in your eyes. You want to be a trainer like Nuzlocke?
>YES NO
JOHNSON: Promise never to tell anyone of us
>YES NO
JOHNSON: Good. Here is the guide to Nuzlocke
You received NUZLOCKE GUIDE
JOHNSON: Also, here is a special capture device (note: this capture devices is modified. it will not work when you try to catch a tuxemon which would break the rules. but it looks cooler)
You received NUZCAP DEVICE
JOHNSON: May Nuzlocke be with you!

- - - -

now, what about the shops?
yeah, you can still buy "normal" capture devices from the shop. you can even use them. but that will break the rules, and IMO this should be possible
the NUZCAP DEVICE is just for you, if you are unsure about something (have i caught this tuxemon already? am i allowed to keep it?) the device can help you to not break rules unintentionally.
you can also not break the rules with normal devices, but there is always a possibilty of breaking the rule. maybe you dont want to be part of nuzlocke anymore, then you break the rules. maybe you accidentaly broke the rule, sad life.

when you NOT break the rules, somewhere at the end of the game nuzlocke himself could appear. then you have a super mega ultra giga epic battle of doom and destruction +2 with nuzlocke. then you win. maybe. and then you are the next heir of nuzlocke.

- - - -

PRO:
- the story gets something like a new branch added
- we can add a few cool characters
- also, adding pokemon fandom characters is kinda cool

CON:
- the beginning of the game gets pretty bloated (much text, many characters, so much to think of and keep in mind!)

i bet there are more negative things i dont have in mind right now, but that single con is enough to say "no this idea is too much, we will use a menu"
i mean, we still need some space, in case we have to explain or introduce something important at the beginning of the game..

By Sanglorian 19 Dec 2016 06:27

Champion · 491 comments

Here's some interesting thoughts on what makes good achievements in a game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/com … gn_trophy/

By tamashihoshi 20 Dec 2016 08:28

Champion · 251 comments

ahh, thanks for sharing!

By josepharaoh99 22 Dec 2016 16:15

Champion · 295 comments

Thanks for the link Sanglorian. I do think that the goals in Tuxemon should definitely not contradict with good gameplay (or each other), but they should be limited to ones that enhance the story line gameplay.

In response to tamashihoshi's Nuzlocke (by the way, is that name trademarked?) idea, I do think it's a good, fun, secondary story line to play. I'm not so sure about the idea of "may nuzlocke be with you," like he's a spirit, but I do like the idea of him being in the game, and ultimately battling him. I think it's a feature we should one day implement.

To continue with goals, I am of the opinion that there should be enough goals to allow the player plenty of freeform time if he wants it, but they should only enhance the original gameplay, and accompany it (for example, a goal shouldn't lead the player away from the story line unless necessary). They should make the story more fun, and add a lot of fun little easter eggs, new characters, and maybe even new items, opportunities and tuxemons - but nothing too big.

And along the idea of freeform gameplay - what do you guys think? I think it might be cool if there was some freeform mode for our game. For example, lots of people get tired of games because they finished the story line. But some of the games I like a lot are the ones that have story lines, but also free play for when I get tired of the story. Idk, maybe the multiplayer paradise island, or whatever we have, could replace that. What do you guys think?

Last edited by josepharaoh99 (22 Dec 2016 16:16)

Multiple Media Producer