Collaboration between Tuxemon and Pokemon Uranium

By MirceaKitsune 7 Oct 2016 13:48

Member · 38 comments

Earlier today I clicked a link on an IRC channel, and accidentally found out about a game called Pokemon Uranium. It's apparently a great Pokemon fangame made in RPG Maker, which used original characters and graphics. Obviously it was soon attacked by Nintendo, and bullied into taking down the download.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/14/124726 … n-nintendo

I won't go into detail about how much I want to see the corporation Nintendo suffer, and what I wouldn't give to be able to bring them to bankruptcy... all because of how far they have taken the harassment of people on the internet with baseless legal threats. This should be a message for us to be careful too, since Nintendo is capable of ultimately thinking that any monster fighting game automatically belongs to them.

In any case, the purpose of this thread is a different one, and I'm putting it under the ideas section for a reason: Reading a few posts on the subject, I learned that the game was using original characters like us, which means the takedown was probably over the use of the word Pokemon for the most part. Its developers are also still expressing enthusiasm in the project, although they can no longer share it openly. What if we were to do a collaboration with them, or invite them to continue their work using the Tuxemon engine?

If their artists are willing to release the sprites under a free license, that would help us a lot with setting up a creature set. On the other hand, if they also have people who know Python and are willing to contribute to the code, Tuxemon could help them restart the project in a more original fashion and an IP free environment! Needless to say, the name Pokemon and any resemblance to their designs would be completely ditched, to stay free of any legal threats.

In a nutshell: If both our and their team are working on monster battling games using original IP, joining forces could definitely make sense... we're sort of doing the same thing! What are your thoughts on this? Do you think a collaboration with the Pokemon Uranium team would make sense?

By Sanglorian 7 Oct 2016 15:04

Champion · 491 comments

I think that's a great idea! Pokemon Uranium's monsters are just that - cartoon creatures. It's only the name of the project that links them to Pokemon. It would be amazing to be able to give them a second life in Tuxemon.

I also agree that the threat of litigation should make us cautious, even if legally we are on solid ground.

By bitcraft 8 Oct 2016 03:54

Champion · 166 comments

A collab of content creators would be really great.  I think that artwork, sounds, design would be easy to share, but it would get tricky with maps and the game code.  I'm all for sharing, but knowing that they have probably spent many, many hours on a game engine, I don't think they will waste it by moving to ours.  More than likely, they will be doing an audit of code and content to be less of a Pokemon clone....then re-release what they have under a different name.

In any case, this is validation to our writers/designers for pushing for a new game concept, rather than a straight clone of Pokemon.  Great work here, as usual.

Last edited by bitcraft (8 Oct 2016 03:55)

By MirceaKitsune 8 Oct 2016 11:22

Member · 38 comments

Pokemon Uranium was made in RPG Maker, and I'm assuming it used the Pokemon Essentials package. Of course it's easiest to just stick with that... moving to Tuxemon would obviously require using and expanding its game code.

That's kinda the point though: Tuxemon will have more original mechanics, compared to other engines like RPG Maker starter kits for Pokemon clones. This will further keep the goons at Nintendo away, in case one day they think that even something resembling their gameplay belongs to them. This might be a good platform for anyone wanting to make Pokemon inspired games, while being sure they're sticking to original content only.

By bitcraft 9 Oct 2016 01:22

Champion · 166 comments

All good points.  Tuxemon is the more free, free monster capturing game.

By ShadowApex 10 Oct 2016 18:59

Lead Developer · 374 comments
MirceaKitsune wrote

Pokemon Uranium was made in RPG Maker, and I'm assuming it used the Pokemon Essentials package. Of course it's easiest to just stick with that... moving to Tuxemon would obviously require using and expanding its game code.

That's kinda the point though: Tuxemon will have more original mechanics, compared to other engines like RPG Maker starter kits for Pokemon clones. This will further keep the goons at Nintendo away, in case one day they think that even something resembling their gameplay belongs to them. This might be a good platform for anyone wanting to make Pokemon inspired games, while being sure they're sticking to original content only.

I would love for more Pokemon Uranium people to jump over to Tuxemon. If anyone wants to contact contributors from the project and tell them about Tuxemon, they're welcome to do that. As long as all the artwork is original and licensed under Creative Commons or similar license, they're welcome to contribute.

By MirceaKitsune 13 Oct 2016 22:25

Member · 38 comments

I made a thread about this on the new Pokemon Uranium forums. If anyone is interested:

http://pokemonuranium.co/forum/showthread.php?tid=237

By xirsoi 19 Oct 2016 02:37

Champion · 66 comments

I find it rather shocking that, in 9 years of development, no one considered that using a trademarked name for the project would cause problems.

Too many fan projects have been brought down by legal action to not contact the IP owners before doing something like this. The OpenMW project, for instance, has had an understanding with Bethesda Softworks for years.

It sucks that they were shut down, but they were being idiots.