We could learn from this game.

By Kelvin 23 Dec 2016 23:34

Member · 44 comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NYBnmBWTbk

Watching this guy's vid. This game looks so awesome, and the features are fantastic!

(WARNING: Contains lots of strong language.)

By Sanglorian 24 Dec 2016 00:29

Champion · 491 comments

Thanks for the tip, Kelvin.

My first thoughts:

* We can lift our game on representing different skin tones. At the moment the vast majority of our trainer sprites are light skinned, and there's no reason that needs to be the case. Maybe we could pick out a set of skin and hair palettes that look good, that we could apply to any trainer sprite.
* Getting to play as a Pokemon is very cool, allowing you to talk with other Tuxemon.

What sorts of things did you think we could learn from it?

By xirsoi 24 Dec 2016 15:49

Champion · 66 comments

The character customization stuff is super cool, and something we should strongly consider doing at some point in the future.

By Sanglorian 30 Dec 2016 00:00

Champion · 491 comments

Something pretty cool in the second video, about 3 minutes in:

It turns into a side-scrolling platformer for a bit.

I don't think it would fit into our plot, but it's very cool, and I assume it mostly just uses the existing code.

By xirsoi 30 Dec 2016 21:15

Champion · 66 comments

I think that's just clever use of impassable tiles that look the same as surrounding tiles. Also, probably a different sprite.

By ShadowApex 4 Jan 2017 04:21

Lead Developer · 374 comments

Thanks for posting this Kelvin!

I totally agree about character customization. I've wanted to include a layering system for characters, similar to how it's done with the Universal LPC Spritesheet Generator, so you could choose between different hair styles, outfits, etc. To incorporate this, we'd need more sprite assets in more of a template form as opposed to fully completed character sprites. Once we have this though, we'd be able to generate many NPCs and other characters from an array of hairstyles, outfits, etc.

The 2d platformer part is also very cool. Just as xirsoi mentioned, we should also be able to do this with collision tiles and different map tilesets with the current codebase.

By Sanglorian 4 Jan 2017 06:13

Champion · 491 comments
ShadowApex wrote

Thanks for posting this Kelvin!

I totally agree about character customization. I've wanted to include a layering system for characters, similar to how it's done with the Universal LPC Spritesheet Generator, so you could choose between different hair styles, outfits, etc. To incorporate this, we'd need more sprite assets in more of a template form as opposed to fully completed character sprites. Once we have this though, we'd be able to generate many NPCs and other characters from an array of hairstyles, outfits, etc.

Hi ShadowApex, I have the beginning of this for the 16x20 overland sprites, but I'm not sure that it's feasible for the 64x64 pixel art. Were you thinking of having it for both types of sprite?

By ShadowApex 4 Jan 2017 06:19

Lead Developer · 374 comments
Sanglorian wrote

Hi ShadowApex, I have the beginning of this for the 16x20 overland sprites, but I'm not sure that it's feasible for the 64x64 pixel art. Were you thinking of having it for both types of sprite?

Yeah, in order for that system to work, we'd also need templates for 64x64 battle sprites. Just as shown in the video, we could have a few different poses that the player could choose from, and we could have variations of hair, outfit, skin tone, etc. For trainer sprites, we could still use custom-made 64x64 sprites for individual NPCs, but also have the option to generate sprites from a template.

By MirceaKitsune 16 Jan 2017 17:57

Member · 38 comments

Thank you for sharing this! I did not know the story of Pokemon Prism until just now. It's wonderful to see Nintendo being crushed once more, after yet another abuse on fan communities across the internet: The more they harass fan games with legal threats, the stronger they will get smile

By Sanglorian 11 Apr 2017 12:22

Champion · 491 comments

I was inspired by the Pachisi game in Pokemon Prism to design a similar thing for Tuxemon:

Gaming_Hall.png

Basically you would start from the first tile after the red carpet, which is blank. It would cost $200 (or whatever) per go. These would count as credits, so $200 would display in the top right of the screen.

A die is rolled on the screen, and you move forward as many spaces as it indicates. Then whatever that tile indicates happens. Then another die is rolled, and you move forward that many spaces. The game continues until you land on a skull (you slide all the way to the end, losing your credits but keeping any items you got) or you get to the end.

Skull: Game ends (lose your credits)
Up Arrow: Fight a monster (you can catch it)
Side Arrow: Get an item
II: Double your credits
III: Triple your credits
./..: Halve your credits
./...: Divide by a third your credits

What do you think?

Last edited by Sanglorian (11 Apr 2017 14:05)

By bitcraft 11 Apr 2017 16:26

Champion · 166 comments

I'm not good with gambling, so I can't really say if the rules you have here are fair or not, but I do like the idea of an interactive game of chance.  Maybe another game could be made for another town (got to catch them all!)?  I'd also say that gambling is idk, really annoying for some people (like me!) so if there are rewards that can only be found in the parlor, it would be nice to have a work around, or make them optional.

Did you just make that map?  It looks great!

Last edited by bitcraft (11 Apr 2017 16:27)

By tamashihoshi 11 Apr 2017 18:14

Champion · 251 comments

+1 for your map!

If there's a minigame in which a random number generator decides upon your winning chance, I tend to have bad luck and loose quite often.
If you loose a few times in a row, the game could open a new possibility to win without having the mercy of the random generator big_smile

Like.. The third time you loose you see a hole in the wall to slip through and skip a part. Or the owner of the game gives you the price if you defeat him/her in battle or if you do him/her a favor.

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By Sanglorian 12 Apr 2017 00:44

Champion · 491 comments
tamashihoshi wrote

If there's a minigame in which a random number generator decides upon your winning chance, I tend to have bad luck and loose quite often.
If you loose a few times in a row, the game could open a new possibility to win without having the mercy of the random generator big_smile

Like.. The third time you loose you see a hole in the wall to slip through and skip a part. Or the owner of the game gives you the price if you defeat him/her in battle or if you do him/her a favor.

bitcraft wrote

I'm not good with gambling, so I can't really say if the rules you have here are fair or not, but I do like the idea of an interactive game of chance.  Maybe another game could be made for another town (got to catch them all!)?  I'd also say that gambling is idk, really annoying for some people (like me!) so if there are rewards that can only be found in the parlor, it would be nice to have a work around, or make them optional.

Yeah, these are good points. I think it will be okay in this instance because you get to keep the items you win and the monsters you catch even if you "lose" (i.e. don't make it to the end of the track). The only extra benefit is that if you make it to the finish you get to keep the money as well. And yeah, we should keep any rewards totally optional for people who are unlucky/don't want to gamble.

I like the idea of different towns having different games!

Did you just make that map?  It looks great!

I did, and thank you (I didn't create the tile art or anything, though).