SPRINT 3! Getting the maps, encounters and NPCs done

By Sanglorian 13 Mar 2017 00:57

Champion · 498 comments

In Sprint 1, we finished off almost every monster we needed, with only two more plot-relevant monsters to go (Sampsack and Beaverbot).

In Sprint 2, we finished off almost every NPC we needed, with only three more plot-relevant NPCs to go (Male Rival, Scoop Boss, Shaft Boss).

We also have a full soundtrack.

We also have art for all the items we currently anticipate being in the game.

And while there are a few proposed techniques that don't have an animation (or that need an animation recolour), overall we have a great collection.

So in terms of assets we are actually very close to the end! Of course, it's always nice to have more, but we have almost everything we need.

One place where this is not the case is for maps. I've noted down where we're at with each main map in the game: hopefully we can turn our energies to this.

Progress
There are two aspects to every place: whether the place is mapped and whether the actors on that map (NPCs, items, interactions, events and so on) have been written.

This thread only tracks the completion of the map and the actors in text form. Coding the maps and actors will have to be tracked separately.

Completed Places

* Paper Town
* Route 1
* Cotton Town
  * Dryad's Grove
* Leather Town
* Route 3
* Wayfarer Inn
* Route 4
* Flower City
* Route 5
* Timber Town
* Tunnel B
* Sea Route C
* Dragon's Cave

A town or city listed here may still have unfinished interior buildings/actors.

Drafted Places
* Omnichannel HQ: Needs Map / Needs Actors
* Side Route A: Finished Map / Needs Actors
  * Mansion: Finished Map / Needs Trainers and Dialogue and a Puzzle
* Route 6: Finished Map / Needs Trainers and Dialogue
* Candy Town: Finished Map / Needs Actors
  * Greenwash HQ: Needs Map / Needs Actors
  * Hospital HQ: Needs Map / Needs Actors

Many smaller places, like houses, shops and cafes, still need to be made.

Last edited by Sanglorian (6 Aug 2017 11:01)

By tamashihoshi 13 Mar 2017 14:16

Champion · 251 comments

I can't seem to create any proper maps hmm
If anyone wants something added to a tileset or wants a "new" one, I can help with that!

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By Sanglorian 13 Mar 2017 21:21

Champion · 498 comments

Hey Tamashi, what part of creating maps are you struggling with? Perhaps we can help!

By tamashihoshi 14 Mar 2017 09:02

Champion · 251 comments
Sanglorian wrote

Hey Tamashi, what part of creating maps are you struggling with? Perhaps we can help!

There are actually quite a few things, but nothing that can't be solved. I'm just gonna write EVERYTHING down... (hope it doesn't sound like a little boy crying for sweets)
- I'm having a hard time finding all exisiting maps and looking at them
- When I find and see a map, I have no idea where it leads to (N, E, S, W -> which maps next? is that map done or not?)
- I think I'm a bad map designer.. if I make a map, it usually looks pretty ugly
- For some reason, there are bits of the map which always look wrong. It feels like there are tiles missing. But for some reason, I can't seem to figure out what exactly. It's those corners of the hills and stuff, which have brown parts on it.. but I can't find the equivalent to that part.
- I'm doing the layering wrong xD I probably should watch the tutorial video by ShadowApex again....

A good start would be probably: Where can I find all the information you wrote about in the main post? You write things like "completely planned", but I don't really know what exactly is planned... (I've tried to avoid map making so far hahaha... haha... um...)
Do you think we should probably add another category in the wiki for the maps to list all maps?

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By Sanglorian 15 Mar 2017 06:40

Champion · 498 comments
tamashihoshi wrote

There are actually quite a few things, but nothing that can't be solved. I'm just gonna write EVERYTHING down... (hope it doesn't sound like a little boy crying for sweets)
- When I find and see a map, I have no idea where it leads to (N, E, S, W -> which maps next? is that map done or not?)
- I think I'm a bad map designer.. if I make a map, it usually looks pretty ugly
- For some reason, there are bits of the map which always look wrong. It feels like there are tiles missing. But for some reason, I can't seem to figure out what exactly. It's those corners of the hills and stuff, which have brown parts on it.. but I can't find the equivalent to that part.
- I'm doing the layering wrong xD I probably should watch the tutorial video by ShadowApex again....

A good start would be probably: Where can I find all the information you wrote about in the main post? You write things like "completely planned", but I don't really know what exactly is planned... (I've tried to avoid map making so far hahaha... haha... um...)
Do you think we should probably add another category in the wiki for the maps to list all maps?

Thank you! You don't sound like a crying boy at all, this is very useful to know.

- I've added links on the front page to the plot, the place descriptions and the maps. Because I set up the wiki, I forget that other people don't know where I put everything!
- I see your point about the maps not being clear about which direction goes where. I'll add some explanations.
- Even if the map looks ugly, it could inspire others, or it might just need a few tweaks. One thing I found helps is to keep all my maps to the following dimensions: 40 tiles x 22 tiles or 22 tiles x 40 tiles (for routes and small places) and 40 tiles x 36 tiles or 36 tiles x 40 tiles (for cities, parks, dungeons, etc). By being restrained like this, you have a motivation to make things focused and interesting.
- Yeah I found it a bit confusing finding where the cliff corners were (both for the big cliffs that are impassable and the little cliffs that can be jumped down but not up). They are there on the tilesheet, but they might be in a strange place. It would also be okay to just leave them out, since the maps will just be drafts at the beginning.
- Ah yes, I haven't done any layering myself yet - but I imagine it's a bit tricky to keep track of everything.
- The main place to check is under places ... these descriptions of each of the major places in the game should make it fairly clear what's present and what's missing: https://wiki.tuxemon.org/index.php?title=Category:Place

Thanks again for the really useful feedback!

By tamashihoshi 15 Mar 2017 07:35

Champion · 251 comments

Ahh, thank you very much! I can work with that!
Probably in a few days or months (or years xD), depending on how fast I am and how much time I've got, I'll post a few maps in here..

I'm probably gonna add a few tilesets while I'm at it, I'll throw them in here (if I do so)

By ShadowApex 15 Mar 2017 19:09

Lead Developer · 374 comments
tamashihoshi wrote

In regards to the actual map files that are currently in Tuxemon, you can find them in resources/maps:
https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/tree … urces/maps .

If you download the development branch of Tuxemon you should be able to just open the maps in Tiled and take a look at them. Looking at the existing maps (like map1.tmx), might be helpful in seeing how layers are used, etc. I also go over layers a little bit in this video (which I think you've seen smile ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qbeFy1qcl8

Sanglorian wrote

- I've added links on the front page to the plot, the place descriptions and the maps. Because I set up the wiki, I forget that other people don't know where I put everything!

In order to make it easier for people to make new maps, I was thinking about maybe including a link to some of these wiki pages and tutorials on the main Tuxemon website. Any thoughts about what should be included on the front page?

By Sanglorian 16 Mar 2017 04:25

Champion · 498 comments
ShadowApex wrote

In order to make it easier for people to make new maps, I was thinking about maybe including a link to some of these wiki pages and tutorials on the main Tuxemon website. Any thoughts about what should be included on the front page?

One option would be to break it up into:

1. Check out what we've done
  a. Admire these monsters, items, maps, etc.

2. Here's how you can help
  a. Making a monster tutorial
  b. Making a technique animation tutorial
etc

By tamashihoshi 16 Mar 2017 08:03

Champion · 251 comments
ShadowApex wrote

In regards to the actual map files that are currently in Tuxemon, you can find them in resources/maps:
https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/tree … urces/maps .

If you download the development branch of Tuxemon you should be able to just open the maps in Tiled and take a look at them. Looking at the existing maps (like map1.tmx), might be helpful in seeing how layers are used, etc. I also go over layers a little bit in this video (which I think you've seen smile ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qbeFy1qcl8

Haha that's funny xD I didn't try the most obvious thing...
I thought Tiled has a different file format, which is not "tmx". I thought, Tiled can't open the maps. How wrong I was big_smile

By Sanglorian 5 Apr 2017 14:38

Champion · 498 comments

Hi team,

I took a look at the maps I made, and the ones ShadowApex made, and considered how they fit together. Because this wasn't something I thought about when I made them, they don't fit together very well, but fortunately most of them will only need some changes to work:

Compiled_map_%28sized_down%29.png
(Or a full size version here)

This map uses purple to show missing maps, and pink to show extra room in existing maps, if we want them all to fit together in a grid.

When I get a chance, I'll get my maps into shape so they actually transition smoothly from one to another, and then I think it'll be much easier for others to contribute the remaining maps.

By Sanglorian 6 Apr 2017 21:36

Champion · 498 comments

Hi folks,

I was home sick yesterday, so I got a chance to edit Paper Town, Route 1, City Park and Route 6 so they fit the grid and the maps they're adjacent to.

I also replaced the old Route 2 with a new one, and created the top-level stuff for Tunnel B.

Route_2.png

Tunnel_Route_B.png

Last edited by Sanglorian (6 Apr 2017 21:39)

By ShadowApex 7 Apr 2017 21:13

Lead Developer · 374 comments

Looks awesome! Getting the routes to match up to make a cohesive overworld is definitely something we need. Maps and events are an important part of the game.

By Sanglorian 8 Apr 2017 00:31

Champion · 498 comments

I made an index of all the tiles we currently have, and what tilesheets they can be found on:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

Quite a substantial reworking of the Side Route A map (leading to the Mansion):

Side_Route_A.png

By Sanglorian 9 Apr 2017 01:36

Champion · 498 comments

Hey team,

I've done another batch, and we're now at a point where all the existing maps are up-to-date and fit together:

Compiled_map_%28sized_down%29.png

Tunnel_Route_B_-_Below.png

Cotton_town.png

Route_3.png

Leather_Town.png

There's still plenty of maps for us to create, though smile

Last edited by Sanglorian (9 Apr 2017 01:38)

By tamashihoshi 10 Apr 2017 06:52

Champion · 251 comments

I'm impressed, you're pretty good at creating maps yikes
good job!

By josepharaoh99 12 Apr 2017 01:02

Champion · 295 comments

Wow, great job!! big_smile

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By Qiangong2 19 Apr 2017 17:32

Member · 23 comments

Would it be possible to include all of the npc sprites in the source? That way we can just use those

By Sanglorian 27 Apr 2017 10:10

Champion · 498 comments

By xirsoi 27 Apr 2017 15:26

Champion · 66 comments

What is the significance of white vs purple icons?

I really like this location by the way! You've done a great job with the dialogue too, it really feels like the Pokemon games.

By Sanglorian 28 Apr 2017 02:15

Champion · 498 comments

Thanks xirsoi!

I've been using PURPLE CAPITALS for NPCs and purple lowercase for items, then WHITE CAPITALS/numbers for events, connections to other maps, etc., and white lowercase for signs, books and other messages that you can read.

By xirsoi 28 Apr 2017 19:06

Champion · 66 comments

Ah, I suspected something like that.

It might be easier to distinguish with only colors, rather than colors and capitalization. But hey, you're the man smile

By Sanglorian 30 Apr 2017 02:13

Champion · 498 comments

Draft maps for Scoop HQ - the fast food/processed food Pillar. I haven't done any of the dialogue yet, but here's the basics as I imagine it:

Having learned about - and probably had some of their tuxemon become infected with - the Spyder Bite disease in the Wayfarers' Inn, the protagonist follows rumours that the disease was created by Scoop for some reason. They break into the Scoop HQ building via a side door. Someone tips them off that due to the system of conveyor belts inside, the protagonist won't be able to get back out unless they fight through a fair amount of the building - so to make sure they have the tuxemon and items that they need!

In the first room, the protagonist observes the cramped, dirty conditions that the farm tuxemon are kept in before being harvested, but the Scoop employees are clear that while the disease began here, it wasn't deliberately spread by them. Enforcers came by and bossily interfered with the quarantine, and presumably the disease infected their tuxemon. When they left, the disease went with them.

The protagonist can then fight their way to the quarantine room itself, where the original tuxemon to catch the disease were kept. When they get there, however, the protagonist finds that someone stole the tuxemon's restraints. Unrestrained, they broke through the quarantine room into a storeroom beyond.

When the protagonist gets into the storeroom, they will have to fight the escaped tuxemon. This is the only chance to catch some rare tuxemon. Also in the store room are the purple-uniformed people discussed earlier - they stole the restraints, but then got trapped by the escaped tuxemon. They let slip that although Scoop uses the restraints on livestock, they're "strong enough to trap a dragon!" When the protagonist beats the escaped tuxemon, that clears a path for the purple-uniformed villains to escape with the restraints. By the time the protagonist chases them, they're gone.

Scoop_HQ.png
Scoop_HQ_2.png
Scoop_HQ_3.png
Scoop_HQ_4.png

By xirsoi 2 May 2017 02:03

Champion · 66 comments

That is gorgeous! I like the flow you've written up, but I wonder if 10 diseased, crazed, and rare Tuxemon might be a bit much?

What does Spyder Bite do, exactly?

By Sanglorian 2 May 2017 07:06

Champion · 498 comments
xirsoi wrote

That is gorgeous! I like the flow you've written up, but I wonder if 10 diseased, crazed, and rare Tuxemon might be a bit much?

Haha, you might be right. I was imagining them being about the same power as a random encounter in long grass, and them being all from two or three species of rare tuxemon, but we can always scale it back.

What does Spyder Bite do, exactly?

We haven't exactly figured that out (suggestions welcome!), but something along the lines of: angel forcing you to skip your turn 1/8th of the time (because you're sneezing, which also infects the enemy tuxemon) and (b) stopping the tuxemon from being stored, so you have to keep it on your team.

Last edited by Sanglorian (2 May 2017 07:08)

By tamashihoshi 3 May 2017 22:20

Champion · 251 comments
Sanglorian wrote

stopping the tuxemon from being stored, so you have to keep it on your team.

Ohh, like cursed items in rogue-likes? big_smile