How to calcualte 'Swarm' Values

By DrAlta 21 Oct 2017 22:47

New member · 1 comments

I don't know is we have a term for a team of Tuxemon so will use 'swarm' from Nanovor.

Nanovor was a monster collecting game from 2009 that didn't have a RPG but focused on PVP battling.   

Rather than having a wild west free for all, which would allow a player with the starter swarm go up against a player with a swarm of  high level monsters, they gave each monster a swarm value and you made your swarm to have a total swarm value under a limit.

I think it would be good to have some kind of rating system for Tuxemon swarms to give an impression of how powerful they are.

I'm thinking something like Average Damage Per Turn times Hit Points.  But it gets hard to calculate DPT with status effects.

Anyone got any clever ideas on how to calculate Swarm Values?

By Sanglorian 23 Oct 2017 10:25

Champion · 491 comments

Hmm, an interesting topic and I think not one we've really tackled before.

I would say that for PVP matches that are arranged between the two players, there should be no rules. They can set things up however they like.

For matching strangers, as I see it the basic options are:

1. Setting all tuxemon to the same level. For example, a level 100 or level 50 match, or a level 5 match with special rules (like Pokemon's "Little Cup").

This is the most basic and easy to implement system, but of course it doesn't account for differences in power of tuxemon of the same level.

2. The community puts different tuxemon in different tiers, as happens in Pokemon. If a match is "Elite Level", you can use any tuxemon. But if it's "Advanced Level", you can only choose from a smaller pool of tuxemon.

3. Some kind of dynamic weighting system that seeks to handicap popular tuxemon. For example, if Legko is chosen more often than average, then maybe you can only choose a level 95 Legko, even though you can pick a level 98 Cateye and a level 100 Nudiflot M. If Legko is still chosen more than average, it keeps dropping in level.

4. As you suggest, a score calculated based on their stats, techniques, etc. This seems quite difficult to calculate, but could be quite simple to implement (and works better with a low volume of games played than option 3).

What do others think?