Missing basic mechanics

By MirceaKitsune 19 Jun 2016 18:07

Member · 38 comments

First of all, hello! I am new to the forum, although I've heard of this project in the past and briefly tried it a few years ago. It seems to have gotten a lot further since then, and based on some of the activity I can see there's a lot of ambition behind it. I like that, and I'm hoping this gets far smile

Onto my question: I'd like knowing to what extent some mechanics or features are currently implemented or possible to achieve. The default game shows a few of the basics in action, such as tile animations and dialog boxes and a battle system with functional attacks and HP... but there is a lot that might missing, needed for any working game to be doable. I'd like to know when the following things could be expected, in order of importance:

• NPC: Is it currently possible to have NPC characters? If so, can NPC's be configured to either stay still, roam around, follow the player, or avoid the player? Can they face you and say something... either when you approach them and press the action key, or when they spot you from a distance?
  • Trainer battles: There are wild Tuxemon battles... but what about battles against other trainers, in case the above is a yes? Trainer battles differ in having a trainer first appear on the enemy slot, who can then swap between Tuxemon and give them potions during battles, whereas the dialogue that triggers a battle branches based on the outcome (who won or lost).
  • Multiple Tuxemon: I noticed that in the default game, you can only get one Tuxemon. Is this just a preferred choice for testing, or because you may not have more than one so far? And if you can: Can they be reordered in the party, as well as swapped during a battle?
  • Leveling: I noticed that levels exist, as well as an exp bar. However you don't seem to gain any exp after battles! Can you gain exp and level up so far?
  • Evolutions: The answer is probably no, especially if the above doesn't exist either. Still, can a Tuxemon turn into another once reaching a given level?
  • Tuxedex: Pretty self explanatory. Is there a menu where you can see each Tuxemon's photo, description, type, attack list, etc?
  • Choices: Are choices currently possible in dialogs? For that matter, are custom menus of any sort doable?
  • Shops: Can items be bought and sold via a menu? Does money even exist though?
  • Storage: Can you store Tuxemon in computers? Additionally, it would be nice if inventory items could also be stored.

Last edited by MirceaKitsune (19 Jun 2016 18:08)

By ShadowApex 20 Jun 2016 03:21

Lead Developer · 374 comments

Welcome to the forums!

MirceaKitsune wrote

NPC: Is it currently possible to have NPC characters? If so, can NPC's be configured to either stay still, roam around, follow the player, or avoid the player? Can they face you and say something... either when you approach them and press the action key, or when they spot you from a distance?

The create_npc event action will allow you to create NPCs. Right now pathfinding has been implemented, but NPC behavior (like wandering, etc.) is not yet implemented.

MirceaKitsune wrote

Trainer battles: There are wild Tuxemon battles... but what about battles against other trainers, in case the above is a yes? Trainer battles differ in having a trainer first appear on the enemy slot, who can then swap between Tuxemon and give them potions during battles, whereas the dialogue that triggers a battle branches based on the outcome (who won or lost).

The start_battle map event will start a trainer battle, but monster switching is not yet implemented for NPCs yet.

MirceaKitsune wrote

Multiple Tuxemon: I noticed that in the default game, you can only get one Tuxemon. Is this just a preferred choice for testing, or because you may not have more than one so far? And if you can: Can they be reordered in the party, as well as swapped during a battle?

You can have multiple Tuxemon in your party at this time, but reordering is not yet implemented. If you add another map event to add another Tuxemon you can test this out.

MirceaKitsune wrote

Leveling: I noticed that levels exist, as well as an exp bar. However you don't seem to gain any exp after battles! Can you gain exp and level up so far?

The experience system exists in a basic form right now, but leveling up hasn't been tested thoroughly yet.

MirceaKitsune wrote

Evolutions: The answer is probably no, especially if the above doesn't exist either. Still, can a Tuxemon turn into another once reaching a given level?

Evolutions haven't yet been implemented at this time.

MirceaKitsune wrote

Tuxedex: Pretty self explanatory. Is there a menu where you can see each Tuxemon's photo, description, type, attack list, etc?
Choices: Are choices currently possible in dialogs? For that matter, are custom menus of any sort doable?
Shops: Can items be bought and sold via a menu? Does money even exist though?

These features haven't yet been implemented yet.

MirceaKitsune wrote

Storage: Can you store Tuxemon in computers? Additionally, it would be nice if inventory items could also be stored.

This was implemented, but hasn't been tested yet since some recent major changes. It might currently be broken.

By MirceaKitsune 20 Jun 2016 11:52

Member · 38 comments

Thanks for the clarification! It's nice to hear that some of these exist in the code, and could be used in custom games more or less. Once most of those features are done, I'd personally consider the engine stable and capable of being used for full feature games, which it does feel close to smile

By josepharaoh99 20 Jun 2016 21:55

Champion · 295 comments

Welcome, MirceaKitsune, and thanks for your interest in the game! As you can tell, there is still a lot of work to do, and I hope I can have the pleasure of working on such things with you for a while to come!
  Let's have some fun! big_smile

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search