Calling writers and designers

By bitcraft 5 Jul 2016 21:18

Champion · 167 comments

Tuxemon needs a "Monster Info" screen.  This will be part of the Tuxepedia and and quick "Info" screen.  To realize this goal, there are a few other things needed as well.   What we will need are "short descriptions" of our current monsters.  The short descriptions should be submitted for approval in English, then they can be localized into our various languages.  I don't have a exact figure, but I think 100 characters is a good place to start for the maximum length.  Items already have a structure for localization, and we can copy that for the monsters.

Here is a very rough idea of what needs to happen.  If anyone would like to contribute ideas or some graphic elements, that would be awesome.  I'll also be working on a monster screen (or helping somebody if they want to try it out).  I'm not an artist, but I've supplied a couple mockups to just work with.  Backgrounds for the Tuxepedia screen and Monster info screen should be the same as existing background palette and dimensions (240x160).

TL;DR

• We need short descriptions for existing monsters
  • We should have custom borders for the Tuxepedia
  • We should have custom background for the Tuxepedia

My mockups
9YfOT9t.png

Here is where the monster data lives
https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/tree … db/monster

How to create custom borders
https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/wiki … ic-Borders

Some of our existing backgrounds
https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/blob … enu_bg.png
https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/blob … enu_bg.png

By Sanglorian 6 Jul 2016 08:39

Champion · 501 comments

Thanks bitcraft,

I'm a bit confused about whether these screens are displaying information for the creature species, e.g. Rockitten or Bamboon, or for a particular member of a species, e.g. the Rockitten I got at the start of the game, or the Bamboon I caught on Route #2.

Also, do you happen to know what size text is displayed at in the game? That would be handy for figuring out how big each section needs to be.

By Sanglorian 6 Jul 2016 09:19

Champion · 501 comments

Oh, and I had a shot at some blurbs.

LAMBERT. The Gumnut TXMN. It is placed in its nut by its parent, who then sends it into the world.
LEGKO. The Lizard TXMN. Long thought to be legless, its leaves are actually vestigial limbs.
MOLOCH. The Devil TXMN. It can stiffen or soften its skin to respond to friends and foes.
MEMNOMNOM. The Relic TXMN. It is said that each one's mask is the face of a different dead king.
PYRAMINX. The Noble TXMN. It has a tomb hidden somewhere in the land. If it finds it, it can sleep.
MIAOWNOLITH. The Desolate TXMN. It can speak the human tongue, but only to say cryptic riddles.
NUENFLU. The Snowball TXMN. It snuggles in homes in the winter months, spreading diseases.
RAYNOSE. The Probiscus TXMN. It can smell anything in the ocean, no matter how far away.
NUDIFLOT. The Flopped TXMN. It eats and stores the poison of the sea creatures that it feeds upon.
SNARLON. The Easterly TXMN. It does not fly, but its feet never touch the ground. The king of paradox.
GRIMACHIN. The Spook TXMN. It was made by a toy company to be a pet, but was too dangerous.
TIGROCK. The Ex Machina TXMN. It is said that it had to invent itself because an evolution was not designed.

What do you think?

By bitcraft 6 Jul 2016 15:30

Champion · 167 comments

Based on my understanding of the monsters, the Tuxepedia List would be info about the species, or a general sort of info and list.  The monster info screen would do 2 jobs: display info from the Tuxepedia for a species, and also give the same info, but for your specific monster.

Text size will be the same as the other screens; about 26 pixels tall if you account for the text shadows.

I do like the descriptions that you've provided; short and interesting.  big_smile   My only issue is the "The XXXX TXMN" seems repetitive.  I'm not an expert on the TXMN though.  So, if others agree with the descriptions, I don't see a problem with adding them.

Thanks!

Last edited by bitcraft (6 Jul 2016 15:32)

By xirsoi 10 Jul 2016 13:43

Champion · 66 comments

Including a "The <thing> TXMN" line is a callback to Pokemon. I always found it slightly silly/pointless, since it has no bearing on anything at all, but it *is* a bit of flavor and takes almost no effort to include.

By Sanglorian 11 Jul 2016 07:58

Champion · 501 comments

I quite like the Pokemon Category, e.g. that Pikachu is a Mouse Pokemon, Pidgey and Spearow both being Tiny Birds that become Birds as they evolve, Meowth is a Scratch Cat but Persian is a Classy Cat, etc. They're a little addition, and the lack of any mechanical effect from them I think makes them better. Some of the names are quite mysterious, or develop the Pokemon in an unusual way.

The Digimon Type is the same concept.

However, we don't have to display the Category in the same place we display the Blurb. Starting each one with "The <thing> TXMN" might get repetitive, but I think in its own box it'll look fine.

By bitcraft 12 Jul 2016 16:18

Champion · 167 comments

Thanks for the info.  I'm fine with keeping "The <thing> TXMN".  I agree, if that line is set aside, in a box, or a heading, then it would look better.  I wonder if it should be two fields then?  One for the "slogan/callsign" (lets get a term for it) and another for the description.

By Sanglorian 12 Jul 2016 23:09

Champion · 501 comments

How about "Call Sign" for "Tiny Bird" and "Blurb" for the 100-character description?

By bitcraft 16 Jul 2016 04:36

Champion · 167 comments

Sanglorian, do you use github?  If not, I can add the TXMN descriptions that you've provided.  We've heard a couple +1's already and they seem fine with me.  Thanks again!  I think we will go with "category" for the "The XXX tuxemon", and description for the short info about them...localized of course.  I'll be adding slugs for the names, category, and description.

Seems like there are a few not in the repo right now?  I'll update the ones that are currently in our development branch.

Last edited by bitcraft (16 Jul 2016 05:00)

By Sanglorian 16 Jul 2016 10:52

Champion · 501 comments

Hi, I have fiddled around with Github but I'm not across it yet, so if you could include the categories and descriptions that'd be great.

I did some others that I didn't mention on the thread - you can find them all on the wiki here:

http://tuxemon.referata.com/wiki/Category:Monster

By bitcraft 16 Jul 2016 18:44

Champion · 167 comments

Thanks, I will check that out.

By bitcraft 18 Jul 2016 03:49

Champion · 167 comments

Sang, The wiki you linked has got just a ton of data.  Its exciting to think there are already stubs and potentially 173 monsters!

I'm working on updating the game DB, and as I'm entering in some of it, I am just cringing at the thought of all this duplication of effort going on.  I'm wondering if you've done much with scripts to update/monitor a wiki?  It would be really nice if we could define some master set of info for the game, and let the wiki get auto updated.

With the new translation system in development, it is possible to localize pretty much all aspects of the monster, except for the sprite images.  So, we can have different names, descriptions, etc.  I'm not saying we will translate the names now, but eventually, we might and the wiki is really English only.  Sometime in the future, I hope we can make some scripts to generate changes to the monster data and update the wiki and what not.

Anyway, just something to think about.  I don't have time to do it right now (and probably for a long time!).

By Sanglorian 18 Jul 2016 04:57

Champion · 501 comments
bitcraft wrote

Sang, The wiki you linked has got just a ton of data.  Its exciting to think there are already stubs and potentially 173 monsters!

I'm working on updating the game DB, and as I'm entering in some of it, I am just cringing at the thought of all this duplication of effort going on.  I'm wondering if you've done much with scripts to update/monitor a wiki?  It would be really nice if we could define some master set of info for the game, and let the wiki get auto updated.

With the new translation system in development, it is possible to localize pretty much all aspects of the monster, except for the sprite images.  So, we can have different names, descriptions, etc.  I'm not saying we will translate the names now, but eventually, we might and the wiki is really English only.  Sometime in the future, I hope we can make some scripts to generate changes to the monster data and update the wiki and what not.

Anyway, just something to think about.  I don't have time to do it right now (and probably for a long time!).

Thanks bitcraft, yeah the wiki's working really well as a store of information.

I have no experience with using scripts to update/monitor a wiki. However, I have thought about generating the game's data from the wiki. You can export XML files, which I understand are easily convertible to the JSON format that Tuxemon uses.

So I know that that's the opposite direction you were thinking (wiki canonical -> game output not game canonical -> wiki output). But I think it's worth considering because I think the wiki is a more user friendly database interface than most others. Depending on how easy it is to clean up the XML data that the wiki outputs, it might also not need any scripts, or only simple scripts.