Catch Challenger

By dulsi 24 Jul 2016 12:26

Member · 25 comments

Anyone tried Catch Challenger? Someone mentioned it in a thread about monster training games. It looks more complicated than tuxemon which is a minus since I'm looking for something for my kids. It does appear to have original content instead of using artwork from pokemon. I don't find the graphics as good as tuxemon and community seems to be zero.

By bitcraft 25 Jul 2016 00:53

Champion · 115 comments

Catch Challenger seems to be computer oriente.d..mouse based. Its now 2016, and very few people are buying actual computers these days (laptops excluded).  Tuxemon is more of a console game with a working touch interface, so it is really far ahead of many other clones, and more accessible for nostalgia and mobile players.

I downloaded it and was pretty unimpressed.  I can forgive graphics, but the controls were not obvious and the mix of QT native controls and in game GUI is just ugly.  He's actually asking $13 for the "advanced" version...yet the "basic?" version is just as buggy as Tuxemon!   big_smile  I'm also really turned off by the "Buy" button on the main screen.

The documentation seems to stress the technical parts of the game ("Asynchronous protocol with no influence of internet and server latency") which is a bit of a turn off and using c++ really limits the number of contributors (this is not bait).

I'm thankful that ShadowApex has done a great job showcasing Tuxemon with the great site, wiki, forum, and github pages.  All that work he's done supports the community and draws in new developers and artists.  Without all that work, Tuxemon may have been left in obscurity like Catch Challenger.

(I'm not throwing shade...I do hope for the success of Catch Challenger!...just pointing out some parts of it that are lacking from my very brief look through it.)

By Sanglorian 25 Jul 2016 08:16

Champion · 390 comments

I can't get the client to run on my computer, unfortunately.

However, it looks like a neat set of assets. Some of the graphics are worse than the average Tuxemon graphic, but there are others that I think are better! What's more, since the game's under a GPL v3 licence, the two projects can potentially share assets! I'm going to get in touch with the creator and see if they'd be happy to put the assets under a CC BY-SA licence as well, but if not I think they're still usable (there's one-way compatibility CC BY-SA -> GPL).

By xirsoi 25 Jul 2016 11:50

Champion · 61 comments

I was able to play around with it briefly before it crashed during a combat with a trainer. It's okay, but like Tuxemon, it has a ways to go. The menu's are ugly, and they need a native English speaker to handle their translations (I believe the main developer(s) is/are French).

By dulsi 26 Jul 2016 08:33

Member · 25 comments

I don't think targeting computer users is a problem. Plenty of computer games make money. In fact if you are trying to make money, computer games might be an easier niche than trying to be found in the mobile stores.

The selling of the advanced version turns me off. Once you are doing that, I'm far less interested in contributing to a project. If you are charging money it really shouldn't be as buggy as you seem to indicate it is. (Actually I dislike buggy programs regardless. I generally think it is cheaper to always keep the program stable than to try to patch to be stable.)

Since I generally program in C++, I don't consider that a problem. But unless you are have an obscure language not normally installed or with odd syntax, I don't think that is a problem. If you have a quality program, good programmers can learn another language fairly easily. Up until a couple days ago, I had barely touched python.

By xirsoi 26 Jul 2016 11:39

Champion · 61 comments

The mouse based interface was really irritating, I kept expecting to be able to make menu/dialog selections using arrow keys and got more annoyed every time I had to reach up to grab the mouse.

By Sanglorian 29 Jul 2016 05:05

Champion · 390 comments
Sanglorian wrote

I can't get the client to run on my computer, unfortunately.

However, it looks like a neat set of assets. Some of the graphics are worse than the average Tuxemon graphic, but there are others that I think are better! What's more, since the game's under a GPL v3 licence, the two projects can potentially share assets! I'm going to get in touch with the creator and see if they'd be happy to put the assets under a CC BY-SA licence as well, but if not I think they're still usable (there's one-way compatibility CC BY-SA -> GPL).

The good people at Catch Challenger have dual licensed their assets under Creative Commons Attribution, clearing the way for us to use them in Tuxemon! I'm particularly excited about using the trainer sprites, which will fill a bit of a gap! (They just need to be edited to be 64x64 pixels instead of 80x80).

By josepharaoh99 30 Jul 2016 01:27

Champion · 294 comments

Sweeeet! big_smile Thanks for finding this resource! I'll have to browse thru it, but it looks pretty detailed, and we might be able to use quite a few of their sprites!

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search