How do I help

By lukejodonnell 28 Jul 2016 22:44

Member · 10 comments

I would like to help with this project, but I have never worked on an open source project before.  I have a beginners python/programming skill and I like to think I'm pretty creative.  What pointers would you give me?

By ShadowApex 29 Jul 2016 05:41

Lead Developer · 374 comments
lukejodonnell wrote

I would like to help with this project, but I have never worked on an open source project before.  I have a beginners python/programming skill and I like to think I'm pretty creative.  What pointers would you give me?

Hi lukejodonnell, welcome to Tuxemon!

If you're looking to contribute, check out the GitHub wiki page for a quick run down of all the different things you can do and how to start on them:
https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/wiki … te-and-how

If you want to contribute code, the "Issues" section of the GitHub repository is a great place to start. There is a range of things to work on; from big to small. When contributing code, you usually "fork" the main repository. Forking the main repository gives you a clone of the Tuxemon repo which you have full access to. When you've made the changes you want to accept in your own fork of Tuxemon, you can open a pull request (PR) to the main Tuxemon project.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm also usually in the Tuxemon IRC Channel on most days if you'd like to chat there.

Thanks again for your interest in contributing to Tuxemon!

By dulsi 29 Jul 2016 15:27

Member · 27 comments

For starting I picked an issue from GitHub that seemed to describe what needed to be done. It turned out to be a little more complicated than I expected from the description. Afterward I saw some request for event features which were fairly easy to implement.

If you are still a beginner python/programmer, ask questions if you don't understand something. Looking at other people's source code is great way to learn. I used to actually do a series of articles called Open Game Source. I would pick an open source game and try to add a feature to it. I wasn't attempting to get them into the project necessarily. (I've done some more Open Game Source articles since in my blog.)

By josepharaoh99 31 Jul 2016 01:41

Champion · 295 comments

Hi, lukejodonnell! It's great to have you in Tuxemon, and thanks for joining!  big_smile

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By bitcraft 2 Aug 2016 17:26

Champion · 166 comments

Welcome!  As said, the github issues is a great place to start.  When you are examining the code, please use the development branch.  "Master" branch is the most stable version, but is lacking in features, and gets of out date quickly.

Looking forward to working with you.