Map creation - shadow, and some test maps

By Sanglorian 21 Nov 2016 07:56

Champion · 510 comments

Wiki has maps
I uploaded to the wiki images of all the maps currently in the game (except for ones that were obviously unfinished).

You can see them here:

https://wiki.tuxemon.org/index.php?titl … &redlink=1

Shadow
The interiors look a little strange, and I think it's because there's no shadow from the walls. I created a shadow.png for use in Tiled: https://wiki.tuxemon.org/index.php?titl … Shadow.png

Here's how it changes the look of an interior:

Healing_center.png
Healing_center_-_demonstrate_shadow.png

Draft maps
I sat down and sketched out some locations, then mapped them out in Tiled.

These are meant as examples of what the locations should look like - they're not properly set-up maps for use in the game. However, I can send the Tiled files to anyone who'd want to clean them up for use in the game.

City Park, between Route 2 and Leather City.
City_park.png

Leather City, between City Park and Route 3.
Leather_city_2.png

(This just needs a coffee cart, for the bottom right. I envisage Leather City as having an open-air cafe because it has such nice flowers.)

Routes (I designed these as Routes 1, 2 and 3, but I see Route 1 has already been designed as part of Map1.

Route_4.png
Route_2.png
Route_3.png

By xirsoi 21 Nov 2016 23:41

Champion · 66 comments

These look great!

By josepharaoh99 25 Nov 2016 20:07

Champion · 295 comments

Yes! We really need some more maps in the game, and you're doing a great job big_smile

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By Sanglorian 25 Nov 2016 23:09

Champion · 510 comments

Thanks! Here's a few more:

Route_7.png
Route_5.png
Mansion.png

And here are maps made by someone else (ShadowApex?) but I've adjusted the two settlements a little to fit the plot.

Cotton_town.png
Route_1.png
Paper_town.png

By xirsoi 26 Nov 2016 01:49

Champion · 66 comments

Great work Sanglorian, these are wonderful maps!

By josepharaoh99 26 Nov 2016 17:14

Champion · 295 comments

Awesome! One critique I have is that these maps might be a little small, so that it's very easy and fast to go through them - of course, if it's like Pokemon, there will be a lot of back and forth to pass areas - but I don't think we need to worry about that until later. For now, these are some great maps! I had a few ideas for some maps, but I don't know if I shared them on your campaign thread yet - I'll have to check it out.

Thanks Sanglorian - you're a trooper!

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By ShadowApex 30 Nov 2016 19:49

Lead Developer · 374 comments

These are beautiful maps Sanglorian! One thing that I really like about these designs is that there's not too much empty space. Each part of the maps you created has some interesting terrain features. I don't think smaller maps are necessarily bad because they can be stitched together with other maps to make up the overall world.

Do you think you could provide the *.tmx files for these maps somewhere? I'd love to include them in the repository to allow others to add things like events, collision regions, etc.

By Sanglorian 8 Dec 2016 11:13

Champion · 510 comments

Thanks ShadowApex! Are you able to change the wiki to accept ZIP and TMX files? (And ASE files while you're at it, for Asperite, the sprite editor I use). If so, I'll upload them there.

Or is it restricted somewhere in MediaWiki to only the current file types? (png, gif, jpg, jpeg, mp3, wav, pdf, ogg)

By ShadowApex 8 Dec 2016 20:30

Sanglorian wrote

Thanks ShadowApex! Are you able to change the wiki to accept ZIP and TMX files? (And ASE files while you're at it, for Asperite, the sprite editor I use). If so, I'll upload them there.

Or is it restricted somewhere in MediaWiki to only the current file types? (png, gif, jpg, jpeg, mp3, wav, pdf, ogg)

Hey Sanglorian. I modified the MediaWiki config to accept TMX and ASE files. ZIP files have some security implications, so I'd prefer to not enable upload of those types of files.

By Sanglorian 8 Dec 2016 21:35

Champion · 510 comments
ShadowApex wrote
Sanglorian wrote

Hey Sanglorian. I modified the MediaWiki config to accept TMX and ASE files. ZIP files have some security implications, so I'd prefer to not enable upload of those types of files.

Thanks ShadowApex!

I think it needs some tweaking: I'm now getting an error message when I try to upload a TMX:

Upload warning
File extension ".tmx" does not match the detected MIME type of the file (application/xml).

And with an ASE:

File extension ".ase" does not match the detected MIME type of the file (chemical/x-mdl-rgfile).

By ShadowApex 8 Dec 2016 23:01

Sanglorian wrote

Thanks ShadowApex!

I think it needs some tweaking: I'm now getting an error message when I try to upload a TMX:

Upload warning
File extension ".tmx" does not match the detected MIME type of the file (application/xml).

And with an ASE:

File extension ".ase" does not match the detected MIME type of the file (chemical/x-mdl-rgfile).

Thanks for posting these errors Sanglorian. I updated the MediaWiki mimetypes to allow both application/xml as "*.tmx" and chemical/x-mdl-rgfile as "*.ase".

I just tested uploading the starting bedroom map here: https://wiki.tuxemon.org/index.php?titl … m_test.tmx

By Sanglorian 10 Dec 2016 00:24

Champion · 510 comments

Thanks ShadowApex.

I'm not very familiar with Tiled - how useful is it to upload the TMX files separate from the tilesheets I'm using? I've uploaded a couple, but this ZIP with the TMX files and the tilesheets in context might be more useful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6z8R … sp=sharing

By ShadowApex 13 Dec 2016 19:51

Sanglorian wrote

Thanks ShadowApex.

I'm not very familiar with Tiled - how useful is it to upload the TMX files separate from the tilesheets I'm using? I've uploaded a couple, but this ZIP with the TMX files and the tilesheets in context might be more useful:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6z8R … sp=sharing

Uploading just the TMX files is generally fine, as long as there's a reference somewhere to the tilesheets used in the map. Would it be possible to make a form in MediaWiki that would let you upload a map and the associated tilesets? That way people can download the tilesets if they need them.

In the future I'll be working on a "Tuxemon Map Repository" project that would let people upload maps with their tilesets online. Then those maps could be downloaded and played directly within the Tuxemon game.