What is already agreed on?

By Hikari 20 Jan 2015 14:07

Member · 23 comments

The wiki seems pretty nonexistent on the matter of default world lore, characters, and so on outside of a few concepts. I do not know if this is a long term project that has a big huge rich world that simply isn't documented, or if everyone's focused on the basics with no thought yet given to the over-all setup since there isn't a foundation yet.

Basically I don't want to contradict anything outright.

By ShadowApex 20 Jan 2015 20:39

Lead Developer · 374 comments

The world lore has still yet to be fully fleshed out, but we have had some core elements of the cannon story written down. You can read it here: https://git.tuxemon.org:3000/tuxemon/tu … world-lore

Right now I'm leaning towards the "Empty Vessels" story.

By Hikari 20 Jan 2015 21:08

Member · 23 comments

Spitballing with a codemonkey friend of mine on elements and I like the empty vessel idea given the alt leveling mechanic I have in mind.

Exceptions would exist in mg view, but the critters being non-semtient and or outright robots leaves the least moral issues to deal with.

By ShadowApex 20 Jan 2015 22:35

Those are my thoughts exactly regarding the moral issues. It also leaves the mainline story open to investigate the possibility of either adding sentience to existing creatures, or finding out that they've always been sentient and it has been suppressed through their programming. That can leave the ethical choice of trying to bring the creatures sentience up to the player.

It also makes it really easy to incorporate the game mechanics with this backstory. Techniques would be like software that you can install into your creature. Wild monsters could be genetic robots without an owner.

By Hikari 20 Jan 2015 23:51

Member · 23 comments

Or if you want to be more spiritual:

Creatures being like ghosts that are little more than things that perform a set of actions over and over but don't have any real awareness.

Spirits of the land sea and sky that have grown along side humanity AMD put here both to aid and educate us.

Am wanting to keep it from being TOO spiritual, but I hope you get the idea. These creatures being physical only because of an animating will that has enough energy to maintain that form..

Robots with bolt on upgrades and programs loaded in also works if you want a SciFi bend.

Working on a setting overview now. My problem is mostly one of terminology.

By rsg167 23 Feb 2015 17:50

Member · 37 comments
Hikari wrote

Exceptions would exist in mg view, but the critters being non-semtient and or outright robots leaves the least moral issues to deal with.

Bots would have an interesting effect on gameplay. Maybe instead of "evolving" you would be upgrading to the next model of the bot?

Although that would make it hard for the players to relate to the monsters. I like to breed my pokémon. I usually rush to the Pokémon Center because the game implies that they can feel pain and grow tired. Also, bots are created by humans. A great deal of mystery is lost from the world if the monsters are bots.  It would be different from Pokémon and allow for interesting mechanics.

I don't know about the empty vessel idea. It awkwardly implies that the scientists can measure and suppress "sentience". This seems like a very shaky way to justify battles. In my opinion, the game world doesn't have to twist itself to fit in a moral framework. It can be morally ambiguous, and that would let the player come to their own conclusions. If the moral issue is sidestepped by saying the monsters aren't sentient, then it discourages the players from thinking about the morality of battles at all.

By Ultimoore 26 Aug 2015 03:57

New member · 2 comments

Hey everyone ,

I have been tracking this game for about 3 weeks now. I wanted to help contribute in different ways. Here is a spitball idea just to feel out.

- What if the world was code based digital world and all tuxemons are programs of some sort.
      - You could still have them "upgrade" as well abilities would be classified as "routines" and "subroutines".
- There can be different leagues based on Operating systems, example would be "Windows" could be a league of very populated cities and lots of battles. "Mac OSX" would be a very fancy but expensive league and "Linux" would have no set path to take in terms of story as there would be alot of "Distros" to explore.

By ShadowApex 26 Aug 2015 05:17

Hi Ultimoore,

The digital world idea seems like it fits well with jobashi's lore ideas of the Cathedral and the seven pillars. I really like the idea of being able to "install" new techniques to monsters.

Upgrading might also be an interesting mechanic, which could let us explore a unique way of customizing each monster, or maybe as a variation on monsters "evolving".

The leagues idea sounds interesting, but I would want to avoid using any brand names outright. Subtle hints towards a particular philosophy of an operating system for a particular league or area would be neat.

By Ultimoore 26 Aug 2015 17:18

New member · 2 comments

I absolutely love the idea of Installing new new abilities. You could even have branches to their upgrades based on what abilities you install into their code base.

By Alchemist 3 Jan 2017 01:29

New member · 6 comments

This is my very first post- I was going to ask something similar, but this seems to sum up well. I am definitely on board for the Cathedral concept. It is creative, engaging, leaves nearly infinite creative space and is downright clever. Is this "behind the scenes" lore established? If not, what can I do to help make it so?

By Sanglorian 3 Jan 2017 07:02

Champion · 520 comments

Hey Alchemist, it'll be great to have you on board! The current plan for the plot of the game is on the wiki, as The Spyder in the Cathedral.

By ShadowApex 4 Jan 2017 03:39

Alchemist wrote

This is my very first post- I was going to ask something similar, but this seems to sum up well. I am definitely on board for the Cathedral concept. It is creative, engaging, leaves nearly infinite creative space and is downright clever. Is this "behind the scenes" lore established? If not, what can I do to help make it so?

Expanding the current outline (Sanglorian also linked to this) on the wiki, along with further expanding details of events, characters, and specific locations would definitely be the most help. Every page on the wiki has a "Discussion" tab that everyone can use to talk about specific parts of the story, or posts can be made here on the forum.

Feel free to edit or add pages to the wiki with your own ideas about the story. Then let us know and the community can discuss and refine the elements that you'd like to contribute!