Weekly Tuxemon Goal

By josepharaoh99 11 Sep 2016 23:08

Champion · 295 comments

Wassup, dudes! Tuxemon is a great project, and I'm proud to be a part of it - and when it's done, I think it will be up there with the top open source games, like Minetest, Supertux, and so on (oh yeah, and I had an idea for 2 Tuxemon: Tux, and then Supertux!)

But when is it gonna get done?

We're having progress, and it's steady, but it's not super fast.

So, what if we came up with a plan to accelerate Tuxemon progress? A week by week goal checklist.

So, here's my idea - every week, we have several things we need to do or make or find for the game - and if we don't do it, something bad or terrible happens to us, lol.

Here are my ideas:

Every week, we do
- Complete 2 tuxemons  (either make a whole set of sprites from scratch, or finish one with some sprites already made)
- Work on a map. It's kinda hard to do a map goal, cause it's too hard to finish a map every week (maps have to be revised a lot), so I'd love to hear any ideas you have.
- Every 2 weeks or month, we should make a technique animation.
- Any other goals? Code, events, etc?

Every week, we should assign certain people (who are willing) to do the different jobs, so everyone is not depending on every one else to do everything.

Also, could we have someone be in charge of adding all the contributions as soon as they're done to the Github fork when they're done; because as of now, things take a lot of time to get in the game even if they're done.

So, guys, what do you think? And I'd  like to give a shout out to all the major enduring contributors to this game - Sanglorian, tamashihoshi, shadowApex... You guys are so awesome, and I think together, if we have clear cut goals, we can get a lot done.

I was trying to be nice - Sorry if I said anything rude!

Please let me know what you think and who's willing to do what this week. And please give me some ideas as far as Any thing here! Thanks!

Last edited by josepharaoh99 (11 Sep 2016 23:14)

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By Sanglorian 12 Sep 2016 03:32

Champion · 491 comments

I think it's a good idea to at least sketch out what needs to get done. For example, in the monster sprint I set 75 tuxemon that are part of complete sets as the goal. I think we could launch the game with that many tuxemon, and it would feel like enough - even though obviously double that or even more would be even better!

So for example, I would be very interested to see a few coding sprints set up too. At the very least:

1. The game code
2. The maps
3. The techniques

In terms of assets, I can see three major sprints:

1. Trainer sprites (front and overland)
2. Tuxemon cries/Other sound effects
3. Any overland sprites our map creators identify as missing

I think we have plenty of technique animations and background music, although we could always do with more.

You said maps won't work well as a weekly goal. I'm not a map creator myself so I don't really know the process, but is there maybe a progression for each map, so there could be one step taken on that progression each week?

For example,

Candy Town:
Step 1: Listing everything that's needed in Candy Town
Step 2: Sketching loosely where everything needs to be placed in Candy Town
Step 3: Making the map in Tiled
Step 4: Polishing the dialogue, deciding which trainers have which tuxemon, deciding where all the items are, etc.

By josepharaoh99 12 Sep 2016 18:15

Champion · 295 comments

Okay, thanks Sanglorian. So what if we have a simple goal of making one whole trainer/player sprite set (for battles) and polishing up the home town in Tiled this week? (Something simple to get our weekly goal going) Also, if you want to go ahead and get some concepts sketched for Candy Town, that'd be great!

Last edited by josepharaoh99 (12 Sep 2016 18:16)

Multiple Media Producer

By tamashihoshi 12 Sep 2016 18:45

Champion · 251 comments

Personally, a time limit is not good for me. There are so much things in life where you have to be in time. you have to work X hours here, you have to finish that work until X, if you do not, you will loose your home or something...
but some people might find the weekly goals inspiring.

here is a suggestion:
if you say "every week 2 sprites", the goal will never change.. it will get boring after a while.
instead, it would be cool, if we have something like ... well... yeah... goals ._. quests or challenges

like:
"Create 1 Tuxemon Sprite set - the theme is: desert"
or
"Create 2 Tuxemon designs - a flying and a ground tuxemon for the cathedral"
or
"Listen to this music (link) - Create a tuxemon design inspired by the song/soundtrack"

this could keep the motivation up
if the forum had exp/points or something for users, we could also give exp/points for the people who finish the goal big_smile

side note: i might not take part on the weekly goals, i have a big problem with time limits hmm it kinda ruins all my motivation kinda

BTW: I like Sanglorians sprite sprint. but the map/code sprints should be started by the ones who work most on them, so bitcraft+shadowapex for code and josepharaoh for maps

josepharaoh99 wrote

Wassup, dudes! Tuxemon is a great project, and I'm proud to be a part of it - and when it's done, I think it will be up there with the top open source games, like Minetest, Supertux, and so on (oh yeah, and I had an idea for 2 Tuxemon: Tux, and then Supertux!)
(...)
So, guys, what do you think? And I'd  like to give a shout out to all the major enduring contributors to this game - Sanglorian, tamashihoshi, shadowApex... You guys are so awesome, and I think together, if we have clear cut goals, we can get a lot done.

so much love <3 thank you \(°0°)/

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By josepharaoh99 13 Sep 2016 21:06

Champion · 295 comments

Okay, it was just an idea. I suppose some people work better with goals, others by inspiration. Anyway, I'm encouraging everyone to keep pushing to get stuff into this game - we've gone so far big_smile big_smile big_smile

Multiple Media Producer

By bitcraft 15 Sep 2016 04:45

Champion · 166 comments

I'm not into sprints, but....  I would be open to it.  It would be great to maybe schedule (very important to me!) for a sprint.  Really though, I tend to work off the issues on github....its just so convenient!  Hopefully we can encourage the fence-sitters to contribute a few lines to the cause....  I know projects like this are a way for people to try out programming and just learn a bit.  I'd be happy to set aside some time for mentoring and what during a sprint.....providing that we have a schedule (I have kids, buying a house, balancing 3 jobs, etc!)

By josepharaoh99 21 Sep 2016 17:11

Champion · 295 comments

3 jobs!! ? Wow, it's amazing you've been able to contribute so much time to Tuxemon!

I appreciate all your help, and I understand if you can't do something weekly - it was just an idea of mine to keep Tuxemon stuff coming in. I was thinking, though, that if enough people wanted to do this, some could take turns - you know, Person1 makes a sprite the first week, and Person2 makes one another week. That way, you'd have 2 weeks for a sprite if you wanted to help.

My plan is to work on maps every week, but maybe I could work on art, too. The problem is, though, that I'm not very good, and so I'd have to keep on bugging people for help.

Maybe we could shoot for something basic like one sprite a week? That includes Creative Commons stuff we can dig up online big_smile

Thanks again!

Last edited by josepharaoh99 (21 Sep 2016 17:12)

Multiple Media Producer

By xirsoi 24 Sep 2016 00:25

Champion · 66 comments

You may not be a super awesome artist or anything right now, but if you keep at it you'll get better and better.

By josepharaoh99 28 Sep 2016 16:04

Champion · 295 comments
xirsoi wrote

You may not be a super awesome artist or anything right now, but if you keep at it you'll get better and better.

Righto! I've gotten a lot better already, but I've got a good ways to go. Thanks xirsoi!

Multiple Media Producer

By MirceaKitsune 22 Jan 2017 14:54

Member · 38 comments

A weekly goal like that might be too much. However I perfectly agree that progress is happening much too slowly, even for a FOSS project! I equally agree that something should be done about it, such as a way to encourage more developers and bring more attention to the project overall.

If anything, the resolution I'd start with is "until summer of 2017, all base mechanics (working NPC's + experience and leveling up + tuxemon naming + tuxemon storage + shops) will be implemented". I believe that's a realistic expectation, but apparently the people to do it just aren't out there.

One more thing: I think both issues tie together rather closely. It's hard for people to be motivated to add more Tuxemon, when all they can do with them is have simple battles and navigate a tiny world that's only a few maps big! There need to be enough features in the engine to give a reason for more assets and in-world content.

By ShadowApex 23 Jan 2017 19:16

Lead Developer · 374 comments
MirceaKitsune wrote

A weekly goal like that might be too much. However I perfectly agree that progress is happening much too slowly, even for a FOSS project! I equally agree that something should be done about it, such as a way to encourage more developers and bring more attention to the project overall.

If anything, the resolution I'd start with is "until summer of 2017, all base mechanics (working NPC's + experience and leveling up + tuxemon naming + tuxemon storage + shops) will be implemented". I believe that's a realistic expectation, but apparently the people to do it just aren't out there.

One more thing: I think both issues tie together rather closely. It's hard for people to be motivated to add more Tuxemon, when all they can do with them is have simple battles and navigate a tiny world that's only a few maps big! There need to be enough features in the engine to give a reason for more assets and in-world content.

I think your summer 2017 goal is definitely what's needed. Once all the core functionality of the game has been finished, it'll be much easier for people to help with the campaign and content. Version 0.4 Sanglorian Release milestone is what I'm hoping will be that release, where much of the core gameplay elements are implemented.

Another way to help with getting people motivated to contribute content would be creating video tutorials on how to do different things such as making maps, creating events, creating monsters, etc.. I created a few videos, but haven't had time to make more. If anyone is interested in creating video tutorials, let me know and we could collaborate on putting them up on the official Tuxemon YouTube Channel.

By bitcraft 27 Mar 2017 20:51

Champion · 166 comments

Its hard to find developers to contribute, that's for sure.  I've got some time for the next month (or two?) to contribute, and I'll try to get the big bugs squashed and add a couple features.  The codebase is a moving target, as ShadowApex also has done some work on the multiplayer side.  I'm willing as always to mentor people or give pointers on how to contribute.