Programming assistance

By bitcraft 28 Mar 2017 16:33

Champion · 166 comments

We have a large backlog of issues on the github page.  If anyone who is interested in learning a bit about python and also wants to get their feet wet with video games programming, now is the time!

I've done a lot of work on the code base, and I'm willing to set aside some time to help mentor or guide people who want to contribute.  If you are new to programming, or a veteran, please don't hesitate to comment on the issues or chat in the forum.

By tamashihoshi 30 Mar 2017 21:16

Champion · 251 comments

When I want to fix a bug, I'm usually not sure where to look at in the code. I basically look through most files and give up... Which functions do I find in which file? Which component does what?

I figured that most codish stuff is in tuxemon/core/components but I'm unsure what functions are in those files. Is there some kind of way to display all "important comments" or something like that?

I don't think I need much details or anything.. something similar to "animations.py is used to animate the sprites, you usually don't need to play around with that..." would be a big help to me ^^
(not sure about animations.py btw)

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By bitcraft 30 Mar 2017 22:16

Champion · 166 comments

I think that the codebase's organization could use some rethinking.  It can be difficult to find things.  Generally though, the really big important things go in /tuxemon/, the smaller parts go in /components/.  Game events that you can use in Tiled maps live in /tuxemon/core/components/events/

I'm not sure the state of our autogenerated documentation, but it is live at https://docs.tuxemon.org/core.component … .core.html

I'll admit, the state of it is a little rough, but it is generated by reading the source code directly.  You maybe be able to browse that more quickly than checking the source code yourself.

I'll make a point to make sure all folder get a readme and that more things are commented.  It will help with browsing github source, and also the code documentation.

By tamashihoshi 31 Mar 2017 12:08

Champion · 251 comments

Thank you very much!
I'll look through the docs more thoroughly, if something's unclear I'll write another post. smile

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By bitcraft 31 Mar 2017 23:19

Champion · 166 comments

No worries.  You raised a good point about the documentation.  I think it is something we could improve.