Reworking the Plot

By Sanglorian 8 Apr 2017 00:22

Champion · 407 comments

I've never been entirely happy with The Spyder in the Cathedral plot, and I think I've figured out a few tweaks that'll help make it more coherent and fun.

Existing Problems

The Five Pillars have an awkward relationship as gyms, shops, villains and medical centres.

Since the Cathedral already runs everything, their evil scheme to get more control doesn't really make sense.

The Threat

The Cathedral is no longer a catch-all term for the five Pillars. Instead, the Cathedral is the region's government, with a specific responsibility for tuxemon. They control the Enforcers and they run the shops/medical centres (the shops and medical centres still have products made by the Pillars, and pro-Pillar advertising. When your team gets healed, the nurse announces: "This healing brought to you by Greenwash Graze-X!"/"Remember, watch the Tuxemon Show on Omnichannel on 6pm every Tuesday!"/etc).

The Pillars are still five multinational corporations, but they're no longer united. By law, they're meant to compete with one another and not collude.

However, the Cathedral has become increasingly corporatised recently. Instead of providing every child in the region with a tuxemon on their 11th birthday, they now only offer that as part of their "Gold Pass" subscription service. Renaming, retraining, daycare, healing and membership of the exclusive trainers' club The Walled Garden are also now restricted to Gold Pass subscribers.

So instead, members of the community provide these services. Your neighbour opens a daycare, the Bazaar provides healing, etc.

The Pillars are each involved in mischief:

* Shaft wants to dig up an ancient ruin to get to the vein of gold beneath
* Greenwash wants to keep its Fusion technology to itself, and destroy all other trace of it - and "accidentally" developed the Vyrus that is sending tuxemon to quarantine in the Hospital
* Scoop is running an intensive farm where tuxemon are harvested for their unique properties
* Nimrod is developing killer robots to replace tuxemon in war

However, when Omnichannel is investigated it's revealed that all these schemes fit together. Omnichannel wants all five Pillars to merge, and to take over the Cathedral and the Enforcers. With most powerful tuxemon in quarantine in the Hospital for Vyrus infection (and the Vyrus being spread in food served by Scoop), Omnichannel will be difficult to defeat. They also have ancient tuxemon that Shaft dug up in the ruins (the real reason for their activity there) and are going to fuse them with Nimrod's killer robots.

The protagonist interferes with these plans. They stop Shaft before they can dig up more than a few ancient tuxemon. They break the Scoop factory farm so they can't put the Vyrus in everyone's food. They break Nimrod's killer robot production line, so only prototypes exist instead of a massive army. And they share Fusion technology with the world, so everyone knows Omnichannel is behind the ancient tuxemon-killer robot fusions that are suddenly present.

Then they defeat Omnichannel itself, and the Pillars are dismantled and the Cathedral is returned to democratic control like it always should have been.

---

What do people think? I'm really happy with these changes, because they:

1. Don't make any major changes to the maps or trainer sprites; I certainly don't want to redo any work!
2. Make the whole scheme more coherent
3. I think make the story more varied and yet easier to follow as well
4. It explores public-private partnerships/cronyism in government and business
5. It works in having non-tuxemon foes, which was suggested by someone way back in the original plot brainstorming

If the changes sound good, I'll rewrite the plot on the wiki.

By dulsi 8 Apr 2017 03:09

Member · 25 comments

I've never fully read through the original plot so I may not be the best person to ask. This does make more sense to me than what I read of the original plot.

By tamashihoshi 8 Apr 2017 20:47

Champion · 229 comments

the plot sounds good to me (^^)b

Last edited by tamashihoshi (8 Apr 2017 20:47)

I'm also on OpenGameArt: http://opengameart.org/users/tamashihoshi
my half-dead DeviantArt Account is here: http://tamashihoshi.deviantart.com/

By tamashihoshi 8 Apr 2017 20:50

Champion · 229 comments

A question at this point:
In reality people eat vegetables and fruit and animals/meat (unless they are vegetarian or something like that)...
Do people in the world of Tuxemon eat Tuxemon? Or are there animals? Where does the food come from?

By Sanglorian 8 Apr 2017 21:42

Champion · 407 comments

Interesting question!

I guess there are four options:

1. Animals exist, only they are eaten.
2. Tuxemon are eaten.
3. People are vegetarian (but may still eat tuxemon milk and eggs) or vegan
4. Meat exists, but it's never specified where it comes from.

Currently all the food items are plant-based - grapes, apples, etc.

Another question is whether tuxemon eat other tuxemon.

There's actually a few references to tuxemon being eaten by people or other tuxemon in their blurbs:

Cowpignon: Some people dry it out and eat it as a medicinal enhancement.

Noctula: It eats bugs and PIPIS eat fruit, so despite living in close proximity they do not compete.

Nudiflot F: It eats and stores the poison of the sea creatures that it feeds upon.

Aardart: It keeps count of every ant it has eaten, and celebrates significant numbers.

Aardorn: When born it is placed in an anthill and left to eat its way out.

Cochini: It is as intelligent and aware as a three-year old child. It tastes delicious.

So my tendency would be to say that only tuxemon exist, and they eat one another, and people eat them, at least occasionally. But I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts.

What does everyone think?

By tamashihoshi 10 Apr 2017 06:50

Champion · 229 comments

+1 for only tuxemon + everyone eats everyone
I was actually asking myself this question for quite a time, also for pokemon where it's not clear to me what people eat, especially in the anime xD
I think it's just natural behavior that tuxemon may eat each other and humans eat tuxemon.

While in pokemon that question may not be very important, probably for tuxemon it could be more relevant. We have those pillars doing weird stuff, but the way the pillars work (in the reworked story) reminds me of the way the economy works. It's about profit and hidden relationships... and of course commercial. That's why I had another question in mind when asking about food: Is there "mass tuxemon husbandry" or something similar?
Or is all tuxemon-based food you get is "perfect", so biological and with great conditions for tuxemon? Probably the cathedral has fought for good tuxemon rights and that's why noone really questions them. Probably there was mass tuxemon husbandry but to have a white vest the cathedral guys used their influence and changed things to a better. To change things to a worse without being noticed...

do you think this is relevant? yikes

By Sanglorian 10 Apr 2017 13:08

Champion · 407 comments
tamashihoshi wrote

+1 for only tuxemon + everyone eats everyone
I was actually asking myself this question for quite a time, also for pokemon where it's not clear to me what people eat, especially in the anime xD
I think it's just natural behavior that tuxemon may eat each other and humans eat tuxemon.

While in pokemon that question may not be very important, probably for tuxemon it could be more relevant. We have those pillars doing weird stuff, but the way the pillars work (in the reworked story) reminds me of the way the economy works. It's about profit and hidden relationships... and of course commercial. That's why I had another question in mind when asking about food: Is there "mass tuxemon husbandry" or something similar?
Or is all tuxemon-based food you get is "perfect", so biological and with great conditions for tuxemon? Probably the cathedral has fought for good tuxemon rights and that's why noone really questions them. Probably there was mass tuxemon husbandry but to have a white vest the cathedral guys used their influence and changed things to a better. To change things to a worse without being noticed...

do you think this is relevant? yikes

Yeah, I think there's a lot of room to explore genetic engineering, factory farming, animal cruelty, processed food, and other topics like that. Because Scoop is the pillar associated with food and Greenwash is the pillar associated with biology, we could definitely use them to explore these themes.

Did you have further thoughts on this? Would be interesting to hear.

By tamashihoshi 11 Apr 2017 18:01

Champion · 229 comments

Nope actually not big_smile
Thought it might be too "bad", didn't want it to sound like "you are such a bad Person because you eat (cheap) meat"

By Sanglorian 12 Apr 2017 00:41

Champion · 407 comments
tamashihoshi wrote

Nope actually not big_smile
Thought it might be too "bad", didn't want it to sound like "you are such a bad Person because you eat (cheap) meat"

Yeah, that's something worth thinking about. What I hope we can do is be critical of the society and the companies, without criticising the individual people.

By tamashihoshi 12 Apr 2017 11:23

Champion · 229 comments

Yeah sounds good. To me. What do you other guys think?

By ShadowApex 17 Apr 2017 18:34

Lead Developer · 366 comments

I like this plot, and wouldn't mind seeing it as a campaign in Tuxemon!

The only thing I'd prefer to have a bit more of in this plot is some commentary relevant to the philosophies of free and open source software. It doesn't have to be 100% in-your-face about open source, or anything too preachy, but one of the reasons why the plot has The Cathedral and the Bazaar was to have a nod to The Cathedral and the Bazaar by Eric S. Raymond, which talks about open source software and its model.

With that said, Tuxemon still doesn't have a completed campaign yet, and I'd happily support anyone putting in time and effort to get one created if they're passionate about it!

By tamashihoshi 18 Apr 2017 19:50

Champion · 229 comments

good point about the open source philosophy, for some reason i kinda forgot about that one a little bit ._.'

By Sanglorian 19 Apr 2017 06:42

Champion · 407 comments
ShadowApex wrote

I like this plot, and wouldn't mind seeing it as a campaign in Tuxemon!

The only thing I'd prefer to have a bit more of in this plot is some commentary relevant to the philosophies of free and open source software. It doesn't have to be 100% in-your-face about open source, or anything too preachy, but one of the reasons why the plot has The Cathedral and the Bazaar was to have a nod to The Cathedral and the Bazaar by Eric S. Raymond, which talks about open source software and its model.

With that said, Tuxemon still doesn't have a completed campaign yet, and I'd happily support anyone putting in time and effort to get one created if they're passionate about it!

That's a good point - part of what I've pruned back from the old plot is the stuff that emphasised the open source theme. I'll think about if there are ways to subtly re-introduce some of this stuff.

By Sanglorian 20 Apr 2017 04:36

Champion · 407 comments

Learning Techniques

I think I had a bit of a breakthrough in terms of bringing the open source plotline back in, and it has to do with techniques.

Our current plan is that tuxemon will learn set techniques at particular levels, but also be able to learn other techniques from other sources - for example, the "Technical Manuals" that we have sprites for:

Item1.png

But I had a different idea:

What if tuxemon can learn techniques from other tuxemon?

This does a few things:

* It creates an incentive to catch and train lots of tuxemon. Maybe you don't want a GHOSTEETH on your team, but you're really keen for it to teach "Spectral Bite" to your MEMNOMNOM.
* It emphasises our theme of cooperation and community - information wants to be free, and so do techniques!
* It further develops the Sub-Element/Body Type model that I've proposed: Inferno tuxemon can learn "Eruption" just by growing up/levelling up, but then they can teach it to other Fire tuxemon.
* It makes teaching new techniques to your tuxemon super easy, but still limits it in a logical way so you can't get the best techniques straight away.

So, in terms of the story, what if the Pillars sell books/CDs/whatever that teach techniques to tuxemon? The books/whatever are expensive and one-use and slow (mayb]e you can't take them with you, you have to bring your tuxemon to the Pillar so that you can't keep any of the materials). The Pillars claim that the techniques are their "Intellectual Property", and no one else is allowed to sell them.

But the developers of Tuxepedia have also developed Technipedia, a wiki of techniques. Just as the protagonist adds to Tuxepedia by capturing tuxemon, they add to Technipedia by having their tuxemon level up and learn techniques.

Technipedia tells you which of your tuxemon can teach and learn each technique, and therefore it becomes easy to get your tuxemon to teach one another the techniques.

This is free, quicker and can be done infinite times, making it better than the Pillars' alternative. Once it becomes possible (which I imagine would be maybe a third or a half of the way through the game), it takes off in popularity.

By bitcraft 20 Apr 2017 05:48

Champion · 123 comments

I really like the concept of skilled TXMN teaching other TXMN their techniques.  Also, maybe only certain combinations of TXMN are capable of "figuring out" a completely new skill?  It would further incentivize "catching them all", and you could also apply open source mantra, like working together for a common goal, and developing new ideas out of cooperation.

To game-ify the concept of teaching skills, or developing new skills in teams, maybe create an in game "incubation" arena where TXMN can interact with each other.  The arena could be a gym, ala Pokemon Go, where you leave them at the location.

Good ideas, Sangalorian.  Keep it up!

By Sanglorian 22 Apr 2017 00:19

Champion · 407 comments
bitcraft wrote

I really like the concept of skilled TXMN teaching other TXMN their techniques.  Also, maybe only certain combinations of TXMN are capable of "figuring out" a completely new skill?  It would further incentivize "catching them all", and you could also apply open source mantra, like working together for a common goal, and developing new ideas out of cooperation.

To game-ify the concept of teaching skills, or developing new skills in teams, maybe create an in game "incubation" arena where TXMN can interact with each other.  The arena could be a gym, ala Pokemon Go, where you leave them at the location.

Good ideas, Sangalorian.  Keep it up!

Thanks bitcraft, and thanks for your suggestions building on the ideas. I like the idea of special techniques that can only be unlocked when two tuxemon work together.

For the incubation areas, we could put them in the Cafes/Bazaars, or maybe at your Mum's place.