SPRINT 3! Getting the maps, encounters and NPCs done

By ShadowApex 5 May 2017 18:28

Lead Developer · 362 comments

I love these new maps you've created Sanglorian! It would be great if we could start including them in the current build of Tuxemon, even if they aren't yet complete.

If you created a GitHub account and forked the Tuxemon project, you could add your new maps to your fork and open a pull request to include your changes in the main project. I was thinking of writing a wiki article for people who are unfamiliar with how to do this. If you join the IRC channel or message me, I can also help out anyone who wants to submit maps to the project.

By Sanglorian 6 May 2017 12:56

Champion · 390 comments

Thanks ShadowApex! I have them all here: https://github.com/Sanglorian/Tuxemon/t … aft%20maps

Which branch should I open the pull request against?

By ShadowApex 6 May 2017 22:08

Lead Developer · 362 comments
Sanglorian wrote

Thanks ShadowApex! I have them all here: https://github.com/Sanglorian/Tuxemon/t … aft%20maps

Which branch should I open the pull request against?

Awesome, thanks Sanglorian! You should try and work off of the development branch. That will always have the latest code and resources. When you open a pull request, you should open it against the development branch as well.

By Sanglorian 26 May 2017 12:19

Champion · 390 comments

Another map sketched out in Tiled - for Flower City.

Flower_City.png

Obviously some of the buildings don't tile well yet, but the basic shapes are laid out at least.

By bitcraft 26 May 2017 21:38

Champion · 115 comments

Wow, this is great!  I love the office building "E".  Is "D" a pier?

By Sanglorian 26 May 2017 22:15

Champion · 390 comments

Thanks bitcraft! It sure is. When you first arrive in Flower City it will be closed, but when you advance further in the game it'll reopen, and let you speedily travel to most cities/towns.

Another map, for the late-stage Dryad's Grove:

Dryad%27s_Grove.png

By Sanglorian 27 May 2017 00:41

Champion · 390 comments

I've fixed up the buildings in Flower City so they tile properly.

I've also designed the levels for the Dojo of the Five Elements, where people learn about how tuxemon battling works.

Dojo_Level_1.png
Dojo_Upper_Level_%285_People%29.png

By Sanglorian 27 May 2017 10:22

Champion · 390 comments

Candy_Town.png
Candy Town

Sea_Route_C.png
Sea Route C

Timber_Town.png
Timber Town

This completes the draft overland maps (for the main story - we should of course feel free to add more once we've finished the main story). All of them will still need a lot of work to make them compatible with the game - the maps are just sketches at this point.

Here is a small version of the complete overland map:

Compiled_map_%28sized_down%29.png

Or you can explore the full sized (but wrongly-coloured) map on the wiki.

By Qiangong2 27 May 2017 21:19

New member · 9 comments
Sanglorian wrote

This completes the draft overland maps (for the main story - we should of course feel free to add more once we've finished the main story). All of them will still need a lot of work to make them compatible with the game - the maps are just sketches at this point.

I have submitted a pull request here: https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/pull/319 that adds a lot of stuff including a rival team and I have started to connect maps. What do you think about it?

Also, on another note, these maps look great, but aren't they a bit large? Remember the user will be walking through these, in Pokemon, the maps are each relatively small with a lot happening in them. I think we should focus on that more, as (in my opinion), it takes too long to walk from one end to the other.

Timber town and sea route c are okay, but candy town may be too large.

Last edited by Qiangong2 (27 May 2017 21:31)

By Sanglorian 28 May 2017 00:51

Champion · 390 comments
Qiangong2 wrote

I have submitted a pull request here: https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/pull/319 that adds a lot of stuff including a rival team and I have started to connect maps. What do you think about it?

Thanks for that, Qiangong2! The Team Xero grunt looks cool. How did you envisage Team Xero fitting into the main storyline? Or were you thinking of them as a post-game/different episode team?

Qiangong2 wrote

Also, on another note, these maps look great, but aren't they a bit large? Remember the user will be walking through these, in Pokemon, the maps are each relatively small with a lot happening in them. I think we should focus on that more, as (in my opinion), it takes too long to walk from one end to the other.

It's funny you say that, because my main worry was that the routes are too short! When I looked at the FireRed/LeafGreen map, I noticed that our routes are shorter but more intricate than the FR/LG maps.

In terms of the cities and towns, are you concerned in terms of size in tiles, or that they have lots of buildings that aren't consequential? Looking at the FR/LG map, most of their cities and towns seem to be similar in size, but often have fewer buildings. Another difference is that although FR/LG's biggest cities are bigger than our biggest cities, many of their towns are smaller than our towns - I was shocked to see that Viridian "City" has five buildings!

With Candy Town, there are two big buildings that are the sites of important and extensive fights, so I wanted to give them some breathing room - but maybe we could do that in a smaller space - perhaps if the river twisted the other way ... I'll give it some thought!

By Qiangong2 29 May 2017 06:16

New member · 9 comments
Sanglorian wrote
Qiangong2 wrote

Thanks for that, Qiangong2! The Team Xero grunt looks cool. How did you envisage Team Xero fitting into the main storyline? Or were you thinking of them as a post-game/different episode team?

What I envision is that Team Xero has been modifying Tuxemon illegally, and the player's job is to battle Team Xero (like team rocket in Pokemon) and stop the illegal modifications. If you look past the line of npcs there is the Xero institute for Tuxemon research and advancement. I also made a sub-boss sprite, who I called Misa (it can be changed) that I envision works for Team Xero up until a point and something the head of Team Xero does makes her question the end motives of the Team (Like N in Pokemon Black).

Sanglorian wrote
Qiangong2 wrote

It's funny you say that, because my main worry was that the routes are too short! When I looked at the FireRed/LeafGreen map, I noticed that our routes are shorter but more intricate than the FR/LG maps.

In terms of the cities and towns, are you concerned in terms of size in tiles, or that they have lots of buildings that aren't consequential? Looking at the FR/LG map, most of their cities and towns seem to be similar in size, but often have fewer buildings. Another difference is that although FR/LG's biggest cities are bigger than our biggest cities, many of their towns are smaller than our towns - I was shocked to see that Viridian "City" has five buildings!

With Candy Town, there are two big buildings that are the sites of important and extensive fights, so I wanted to give them some breathing room - but maybe we could do that in a smaller space - perhaps if the river twisted the other way ... I'll give it some thought!

Right now, the main problem is that we don't have many internals for buildings, leaving the maps feel like ghost towns. Maybe if we had more stuff going on (trainer battles, side quests, etc.), then the maps wouldn't feel so barren.

By Sanglorian 30 May 2017 01:40

Champion · 390 comments
Qiangong2 wrote

What I envision is that Team Xero has been modifying Tuxemon illegally, and the player's job is to battle Team Xero (like team rocket in Pokemon) and stop the illegal modifications. If you look past the line of npcs there is the Xero institute for Tuxemon research and advancement. I also made a sub-boss sprite, who I called Misa (it can be changed) that I envision works for Team Xero up until a point and something the head of Team Xero does makes her question the end motives of the Team (Like N in Pokemon Black).

That sounds interesting, but I'm not sure it fits into the current plot structure - we already have the villainous Pillars, who are modifying tuxemon (through fusing different tuxemon together and by arming them with weaponry). Perhaps the Xero Institute could pop up in the after-game, after the Pillars have been defeated? Maybe they could be led by former Pillars bosses who pretend they've returned to the straight and narrow but are actually continuing their schemes?

Qiangong2 wrote

Right now, the main problem is that we don't have many internals for buildings, leaving the maps feel like ghost towns. Maybe if we had more stuff going on (trainer battles, side quests, etc.), then the maps wouldn't feel so barren.

Yeah, there's definitely many little things we should add. There are some notes on each place's wiki entry about NPCs, encounters, and that sort of thing, but very little of it has been implemented in the maps themselves yet, and there's plenty more that we could add in as well.

By Qiangong2 30 May 2017 05:48

New member · 9 comments
Sanglorian wrote

That sounds interesting, but I'm not sure it fits into the current plot structure - we already have the villainous Pillars, who are modifying tuxemon (through fusing different tuxemon together and by arming them with weaponry). Perhaps the Xero Institute could pop up in the after-game, after the Pillars have been defeated? Maybe they could be led by former Pillars bosses who pretend they've returned to the straight and narrow but are actually continuing their schemes?

I always assumed that the Pillars acted like in a communist state, technically competing against each other, but in the end focused on the same end goal. I thought of Team Xero as being the "front man" for the Pillars, with the Pillars being the controls. They are all corrupted villains with their own agendas, but they all agree on the need to disestablish the Cathedral.

Sanglorian wrote

Yeah, there's definitely many little things we should add. There are some notes on each place's wiki entry about NPCs, encounters, and that sort of thing, but very little of it has been implemented in the maps themselves yet, and there's plenty more that we could add in as well.

The main problem is that there is no indication of when a trainer battle is happening. The game automatically assumes every battle is a wild battle, also, you cannot set specific Tuxemon to spawn in a certain area.

By bitcraft 30 May 2017 14:28

Champion · 115 comments
Qiangong2 wrote

The main problem is that there is no indication of when a trainer battle is happening. The game automatically assumes every battle is a wild battle, also, you cannot set specific Tuxemon to spawn in a certain area.

It is possible to specify encounters for certain areas.  First you would create a JSON file in for the encounter, then you would use that encounter slug with the random_encounter map event.  Trainer battles are not really supported ATM, but you can still set them up or plan around them right now.

tEa7Pz0.png

https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/blob … unter.json

By xirsoi 31 May 2017 16:37

Champion · 61 comments

I thought the world was too small at first, but then I realized that Tuxemon the Game is mostly a showcase for Tuxemon the Engine. It doesn't need to be as large and long as Pokemon to get the job done or be fun. We also don't have Nintendo levels of resources (even 1998 Nintendo) to make a giant game tongue

I think some of the towns look especially empty because there are large spaces between the buildings. A little bit of filler would help.

I think it's also important to keep in mind that the game window is quite small, so the size of the world will seem bigger in game.

I look forward to walking around in this world!

[EDIT] Nevermind about the filler thing. I just looked at the map again and it's super great. You're doing an amazing job!

Last edited by xirsoi (31 May 2017 16:40)

By josepharaoh99 1 Jun 2017 00:49

Champion · 294 comments

These maps are amazing! I think as long as we have enough missions and side quests, the maps mostly have a good size big_smile

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By bitcraft 1 Jun 2017 18:29

Champion · 115 comments

Minor nitpick... While I can't speak for the people that started Tuxemon, I do think it started more as a game concept, and less as a generic game engine.  I think over time the "game engine" parts (like campaigns) came up as a nice-to-have feature.  I don't know of another totally open-source monster capture game that is multi-platform and community-built like Tuxemon.  There are clones, game hacks, and single developer concepts, but I think Tuxemon has a very active community of creators, and I don't want to minimize their efforts by saying "Tuxemon mostly a showcase for the engine".  I'm excited by the story being developed and look forward to playing it as the core functionality and content is created.

Sanglorian, you've got a ton of great content demoed here.  Is there a chance we could merge some of it in for testing?  Or is it not ready for that?

By Sanglorian 2 Jun 2017 05:26

Champion · 390 comments
Qiangong2 wrote

I always assumed that the Pillars acted like in a communist state, technically competing against each other, but in the end focused on the same end goal. I thought of Team Xero as being the "front man" for the Pillars, with the Pillars being the controls. They are all corrupted villains with their own agendas, but they all agree on the need to disestablish the Cathedral.

In the current plot, it's almost the other way around - the Pillars are the public organisations, ostensibly acting legally and in the public interest, and then Spyder is the conspiracy theory uniting the Pillars in their scheme to disestablish the Cathedral. Perhaps we could use the Xero characters that you've created as part of Spyder?

xirsoi wrote

I thought the world was too small at first, but then I realized that Tuxemon the Game is mostly a showcase for Tuxemon the Engine. It doesn't need to be as large and long as Pokemon to get the job done or be fun. We also don't have Nintendo levels of resources (even 1998 Nintendo) to make a giant game tongue

bitcraft wrote

Minor nitpick... While I can't speak for the people that started Tuxemon, I do think it started more as a game concept, and less as a generic game engine.  I think over time the "game engine" parts (like campaigns) came up as a nice-to-have feature.  I don't know of another totally open-source monster capture game that is multi-platform and community-built like Tuxemon.  There are clones, game hacks, and single developer concepts, but I think Tuxemon has a very active community of creators, and I don't want to minimize their efforts by saying "Tuxemon mostly a showcase for the engine".  I'm excited by the story being developed and look forward to playing it as the core functionality and content is created.

Thanks xirsoi and bitcraft for your feedback.

I think xirsoi's comment only needs a small adjustment: "Tuxemon the Game is mostly a showcase for Tuxemon the Engine and Tuxemon the Designs". I think the catalogue of hundreds of monsters that we've collected and dozens of human characters (not all created for Tuxemon, but all free and open!) is as valuable and exciting as the engine is. Tuxemon the Game will hopefully be just one of many games that show off both our engine and our designs.

josepharaoh99 wrote

These maps are amazing! I think as long as we have enough missions and side quests, the maps mostly have a good size big_smile

Thanks josepharaoh!

bitcraft wrote

Sanglorian, you've got a ton of great content demoed here.  Is there a chance we could merge some of it in for testing?  Or is it not ready for that?

Some of the maps have been added to the distro, but they're not in usable form. Qiangong2 has been kindly connecting the maps, I'm not sure if that's all that's needed for testing, or if there's more.

By xirsoi 2 Jun 2017 23:33

Champion · 61 comments

I didn't mean to lessen the import of Designers work at all. I greatly look forward to playing the game! No one is going to care about the engine if the game is no good and the design is bad, after all.

I also want to have a bunch of cool monster capture games built on the engine so I have more games to play wink

By Qiangong2 5 Jun 2017 13:21

New member · 9 comments
Sanglorian wrote
Qiangong2 wrote

In the current plot, it's almost the other way around - the Pillars are the public organisations, ostensibly acting legally and in the public interest, and then Spyder is the conspiracy theory uniting the Pillars in their scheme to disestablish the Cathedral. Perhaps we could use the Xero characters that you've created as part of Spyder?

Yeah, I'm just worried that it may be too complicated of a plot. Remember, Pokemon has a very simple plot. Bad guys want to hurt people, so you go off on a mission to stop them.

By xirsoi 6 Jun 2017 02:11

Champion · 61 comments

The player isn't even that altruistic. The bad guys are in the way between you and your goal of being the crowned champion of competitive monster fights. You are literally forced to fight them to proceed, because they possess objects/techniques required to continue, or they simply are standing in the doorway until you defeat them.

Red is a jerk.

I like that our character is fighting for something.

By bitcraft 7 Jun 2017 20:11

Champion · 115 comments

As I am no longer 10, I prefer games to have a bit more nuance beyond "good guys defeat the bad guys".

By bitcraft 23 Jun 2017 23:36

Champion · 115 comments

Somewhat related...  IDK if the mappers here do this, but when I am testing a feature, I will open some maps as text files and do a search-and-replace on the files individually, or as a collection.  Since the maps are just text files, you can open them in an editor like Notepad, gedit, Notepad++, or even search with grep, replace with sed, etc.

You can change all the maps or resources at once by doing search/replace/sed/regex.... that includes the Tiled properties.  So you could add a property for a specific thing, but change them all later easily.  Spelling errors can be corrected this way as well.

I do this sometimes when testing, but it may be useful while developing the maps.  Hope you find that tip useful!  big_smile