Is Tuxemon a dying project?

By MirceaKitsune 28 Apr 2018 12:01

Member · 38 comments

https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/commits/development

There don't seem to have been any new commits to the official development branch for over two months now. I'm additionally seeing 10 open pull requests that have piled up, over the typical limit which used to be 3... there are also over 90 open issues, past what was roughly 60 a few months ago.

I'm a little worried whether the project might be dying at this point. I know ShadowApex and Bitcraft are the two main developers, and obviously they are busy with other things as well, definitely not something anyone can fault them for. Still it's worrying to see development dying down this much, and I'm wondering if that can be helped to any extent and development started back up again.

Is there perhaps any way to attract new developers? Or maybe simplify some things to make it easier to work on the project more regularly? I really would like to see Tuxemon still advancing, this project is much too good to just cease development.

Last edited by MirceaKitsune (28 Apr 2018 12:01)

By bitcraft 28 Apr 2018 21:56

Champion · 166 comments

Not dying!  Honestly, not much time for me personally, but I did get a new windows build up, and fixed a couple outstanding issues.  More developers will obviously get more movement overall, but I'm not walking away from it.

If you go through the pull requests, most are features, or things that can't be easily fixed.  Even large projects will have 100's of open issues and still be widely used, so I don't think it is a useful metric.

I'm not going to defend it further, because honestly these "is x dying" type discussions always go nowhere, and do no good, and harm projects overall.

By MirceaKitsune 28 Apr 2018 22:22

Member · 38 comments

Sorry about that; My question wasn't meant to spread worry that the project is in trouble. I was legitimately worried whether everything is okay, mainly due to the very low number of commits made recently. I'm more relaxed on the matter now that you've confirmed it's fine.

By bitcraft 28 Apr 2018 22:28

Champion · 166 comments

This is an open source project maintained and built by people in their free time.  Please be respectful of that.

By Qiangong2 18 May 2018 16:49

Member · 23 comments

I wouldn't say it's dying, at least on my end tongue

I've been working on the story recently and now I've submitted a pull request. (With help from bitcraft, I learned how to squash commits)

I've been trying to work on it when I can, but life and other projects have gotten in the way recently.