Github

By lukejodonnell 5 Jun 2018 01:47

Member · 10 comments

The buzz around the internet is Microsoft has acquired GitHub.  It seems like many people are considering pulling their projects and migrating to something else such as GitLab.  Does/will these recent events change anything for us?

By bitcraft 20 Jun 2018 14:39

Champion · 166 comments

These has been a small discussion on the discord about this.  Personally, I don't like the acquisition and am leaning to moving the project, but we have to be respectful to our community and contributors, too.  Moving the project would mean the people who started github accounts just for Tuxemon will have to move to a different platform and the migration could also mean less exposure or developers because of the friction of creating another account, migrating local repos, etc. 

I think that in a few months, we should look at what the options are after everything has settled down and ask the community about what to do.

As for my own projects, I will probably make github a mirror and use gitlab.  Its super annoying that my moniker ("bitcraft") has been squatted on gitlab and bitbucket, so i may have to change that.  hmm

By xirsoi 21 Jun 2018 01:10

Champion · 66 comments

Personally, I think jumping ship is premature.

Microsoft has come a long way in the last 10 years and it's only in their best interest to maintain GitHub has the happy FOSS haven it's been. Compared to some of the other companies that had considered buying GitHub, Microsoft is by far the least bad.

Apple? Walled garden and terrible FOSS record.
Google? Ostensibly a FOSS advocate, but they've never developed AOSP in the open like MS has been doing with many of their projects. Not to mention the HUGE privacy concerns with Google. I mean, they make all of their money on user data.
Oracle? This horror needs no explanation.
Atlassian would be my personal nightmare. It's bad enough JIRA is the only game in town when it comes to project management, I'd hate to see what would happen if they had Bitbucket *and* GitHub.

Microsoft has been pretty cool lately, if you've been paying attention wink

By bitcraft 25 Jun 2018 12:33

Champion · 166 comments

I have been paying attention, and I really don't see anything different from the company.  They still push out half-baked software across the board and engage in really anti-privacy, anti-freedom scummy business.  Gamers like us should be throwing all of our money at Linux games because it will not be long that "windows gaming" is just a locked down Xbox hyper-v guest.  There will be a day when we are no longer able to develop or modify games without a license or special setup...because it is in their best interest.

I'm not a knee-jerk MS hater, but not really into a discussion about whether i should hate them or not either.  I don't trust them to support projects without messing it up somehow... Anyway, its more about supporting large companies controlling developer eyeballs....not something I want to support.  I would have the same reservations if any other large company had bought GitHub. such as google, apple, etc.

Bitbucket is pretty nice.  Its interface is a bit harder to use than github because it crams in much more info, but its not bad.  Gitlab is really nice and moving to GL would give us great continuous integration.  There are more reasons to switch beyond philosophical.  Github has been slow to improve and there are competitors with better features.

Last edited by bitcraft (25 Jun 2018 12:45)