Stats, Combat, XP, Techniques Plan

By Sanglorian 31 Jul 2018 09:36

Champion · 488 comments

Hi folks,

I've assembled four guide documents:

• Characters: A plan for Stats, Body Shapes, Levelling Up and Learned Techniques
  • Combat: A plan for Order of Actions, Subroutines, Conditions, Damage, Swapping Out
  • Details: Elements, Combat Options, Conditions, Techniques, Formulae
  • Techniques list: 90 Techniques, assigned to 154 Tuxemon as Move Sets

This plan has been based on years of thoughts and discussion about how the game rules could work - thank you to everyone who chipped in! Also very important has been dipping my toes into coding, which has given me some insight into what is easy to program and what is difficult to program.

These aren't meant to be the end of the discussion, but my hope is that they will be the beginning of the end! They should serve as a clear plan for programmers who want to contribute - with tweaks if we identify problems. Once the combat system is worked out, I think implementing an in-game Tuxepedia is the last remaining "thing" before the game will feel whole.

Let me know what you think!

By marius851000 23 Aug 2018 15:56

New member · 1 comments

I think it would be better that you use string for conditions.

also, I think that a better system for Technique animation is something that say what to do x second/microsecond after the beginning of an animation, like :
0,00 s : display "lauch attack fire" animation at the laucher position
0,50 s : if player lauch the attack, display the fullscreen animation "attack fire player to rival"
0,50 s : if rival lauch the attack, display the fullscreen animation "attack fire rival to player"
1,00 s : display "hit attack fire" animation behind the target at the target position

By Sanglorian 24 Aug 2018 11:45

Champion · 488 comments
marius851000 wrote

I think it would be better that you use string for conditions.

also, I think that a better system for Technique animation is something that say what to do x second/microsecond after the beginning of an animation, like :
0,00 s : display "lauch attack fire" animation at the laucher position
0,50 s : if player lauch the attack, display the fullscreen animation "attack fire player to rival"
0,50 s : if rival lauch the attack, display the fullscreen animation "attack fire rival to player"
1,00 s : display "hit attack fire" animation behind the target at the target position

Hi marius851000, thanks for your feedback!

I think using a string for conditions would work well too - make it a bit more human readable!

For animation, I think that'd be a good system to build in for future projects. For example, what you describe would be necessary for the kinds of animations that Pokemon and lots of other JRPGs have.

However, there hasn't been much interest so far in that sort of thing from the Tuxemon project. Every animation that's been designed so far is just a GIF. So while I think your system would make a great ambition for the project, I'd rather see a basic, easy system set up for the time being.

Last edited by Sanglorian (24 Aug 2018 11:47)