Import Tuxemon data and material to Wikimedia projects

By Airon90 9 Oct 2018 07:26

New member · 4 comments

[Copied from GitHub issue #472]

I don't know which licenses various material and data are published under so I open this thread.
Is it possible not only to import material on some Wikimedia projects but also to use them from there?
Images, video, sound and documents could be inserted in Wikimedia Commons while some information could be inserted into Wikidata.

Uploading material on Wikimedia Commons not only will make them available on a big project but also will make them available on all MediaWiki wikis, even on the Tuxemon one. You can use pictures uploaded on Commons without reuploading on Tuxepedia. More info, Commons:Licensing.

Information about Tuxemon could be inserted on Wikidata so that they are available as open data and everyone can use them freely. You can get data on the wiki with Wikibase Client Extension, query them with a SPARQL query on the Wikidata Query Service, export them. Some information that could be added are

• Tuxemon species
  • Places
  • Characters
  • Moves
  • Status

See Pokémon Wikiproject for more examples. Wikidata:Licensing

By Sanglorian 10 Oct 2018 08:02

Champion · 488 comments

Hi Airon90,

Thanks for your thoughts.

There's no licensing issue - everything on the wiki is CC BY-SA, CC BY or CC0.

You know more than I do about Wikidata - is there not a notability requirement that Tuxemon wouldn't meet?

The wiki takes advantage of Categories semantics to display images on particular pages, so I'm not sure that we'd be able to make use of Wikimedia Commons images without replicating them. That said, it could be good to back up the art on Wikimedia Commons.

By Airon90 14 Oct 2018 15:04

New member · 4 comments

Hi Sanglorian and thank you for your answer!

Sanglorian wrote

What do you mean? CC-BY-SA is not CC-BY which is not CC0 which is not CC-BY-SA. I wait for an answer about that, then I will create a script to import data and images on Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons and to maintain them, if license will permit. By now, I created Tuxemon item.

Sanglorian wrote

You know more than I do about Wikidata - is there not a notability requirement that Tuxemon wouldn't meet?

This is the main notability requirement and I think that Tuxemon information could stay on WIkidata.

Sanglorian wrote

The wiki takes advantage of Categories semantics to display images on particular pages, so I'm not sure that we'd be able to make use of Wikimedia Commons images without replicating them. That said, it could be good to back up the art on Wikimedia Commons.

I never used "Categories sematics" so I cannot give you an answer. I think that it would work even without keeping images locally. Anyway, as you said, a "backup" is always useful.

By Sanglorian 15 Oct 2018 09:35

Champion · 488 comments
Airon90 wrote

Hi Sanglorian and thank you for your answer!

Sanglorian wrote

What do you mean? CC-BY-SA is not CC-BY which is not CC0 which is not CC-BY-SA. I wait for an answer about that, then I will create a script to import data and images on Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons and to maintain them, if license will permit. By now, I created Tuxemon item.

It depends on the asset. All original assets for the project are CC BY-SA licensed, but for example there's plenty of assets adopted from OpenGameArt that could be under other licences. For example, this dragon is CC BY. It'll always say if the licence is something other than CC BY-SA, though.