Uncut versions of tuxemon back sprites

By MirceaKitsune 3 Jan 2020 23:13

Member · 45 comments

I was wondering if there exist any full versions of the back Tuxemon sprites anywhere (tuxemon/resources/gfx/sprites/battle/mytuxemon-back.png). I like the idea of the whole character showing even when it's the player's tuxemon, and due to how the animation works you also see the missing lower half of your monster as the battle starts and the islands move into place. Some graphics such as Fruitera have full back sprites, but the vast majority only contain the lower half. Is there a repository somewhere with the full versions, or is this how they were designed and there are no uncut variants?

By Sanglorian 4 Jan 2020 04:16

Champion · 543 comments

Hi MirceaKitsune,

It's how they were designed - so unfortunately there's no uncut variants (with rare exceptions you can find here: https://wiki.tuxemon.org/index.php?titl … ternative).

I think if we did full back sprites instead of cutting them off, we would want them to be scaled similarly to the front sprites. At the moment, most small tuxemon fill up much more of their back sprite than they do of their front sprite.

By MirceaKitsune 4 Jan 2020 14:36

Member · 45 comments

Thanks. That makes sense. Perhaps the battle start animations should be tweaked then, as to avoid the missing lower half bumping past the bottom of the screen and exposing the cutoff.

By tamashihoshi 30 Apr 2020 11:47

Champion · 258 comments

I actually like the transition.
Probably it's a good idea to tweak it for now, hiding the cutoff.. but at a later state, I'd really like to see that bump.
With a few artists together, we could add a few pixels to the bottom of the sprites, so the animation works. When using attacks which throws the tuxemon "up", like a quake, it might actually be cool to have a few pixels below.

A different approach to keep the bump would be to show the sprite lower a few pixels "too low" in general but idk if that's such a good idea.

By Sanglorian 4 May 2020 01:12

Champion · 543 comments

A nice spin off project could be to redo the back sprites to show the full monster from behind, instead of being cut off halfway. That would make them usable for other purposes (e.g. cut scenes). But that would be a pretty dramatic change in art style, so not something I think should be a priority!