New creatures: Quiptail and Speedoscelis

By DaneelOlivaw 18 Jul 2020 18:27

New member · 5 comments

Hi everyone,

I just recently found this project and I think it is really cool! Thanks to all the developers, artists, and other contributors for putting it together!  I sketched a couple of new creatures and was hoping to get your feedback. They are based on legless lizards and whiptail lizards. The first creature is called Quiptail, a play on the word Whiptail. It evolves into Speedoscelis, which is a play on the scientific name for the Whiptail genus, Aspidoscelis. The sketches are rough! I am not a very good analog artist, let alone a digital one. I put a partial sample of the color scheme onto the Quiptail image so you can get a rough idea of what I'm thinking; a mix of earth tones and greens. I'm totally open to suggestions on the color scheme and other design elements.

Thanks!

Quiptail:

Type: Earth

https://www.deviantart.com/golantreviz/ … -849147994

Speedoscelis:

Type: Earth/Wood

Thinking that this one will have roughly the same color scheme as Quiptail, but maybe a bit flashier. Still want it to be a mix of Earth tones and greens.

https://www.deviantart.com/golantreviz/ … -849148002

By Sanglorian 19 Jul 2020 04:10

Champion · 550 comments

Hey Daneel - thanks for sharing and welcome to the project!

I think they look neat. With Quiptail, my only thought is if it's missing a bit of detail or a unique touch - it looks pretty much like any  other snake, although with the interesting head armour.

Speedoscelis is more distinctive - with the rod-straight body, mechanical arms and legs and repeated arrow motif. Is the idea that it builds itself arms and legs since it doesn't have any to begin with? That's cool! Perhaps the body needs to be a bit bigger - or the arrows could be offset a bit from the legs? At the moment with them overlapping and a small body it looks a bit like they wouldn't both fit.

By DaneelOlivaw 19 Jul 2020 04:50

New member · 5 comments

Hey Sanglorian - thanks for the welcome and the suggestions! Glad you picked up on the robotic legs. My thought was exactly what you said; that when it grows while evolving into Speedoscelis it then builds itself a set of legs with materials from its environment. I will work on making Quiptail more distinctive  and on making the proportions of Speedoscelis make more sense!

By xirsoi 19 Jul 2020 11:02

Champion · 91 comments

I actually think the plate on the head is enough to make Quiptail look physically unique. I only suggest you do some more color work. After all, Ekans is super boring and Sevyper is only slightly more interesting than Quiptail.

Speedoscelis might need a tiny bit more work to make it look more distinct from Quiptail, but it's an interesting design! How does a limbless creature built functioning prosthetic arms?

Unrelated Thought: I love the username big_smile

Last edited by xirsoi (19 Jul 2020 11:02)

By DaneelOlivaw 19 Jul 2020 17:13

New member · 5 comments

Great, thanks for the comments, xirsoi. I'll do some more color work and also work on making the creatures more distinctive. I'll post back in this thread whenever I have new versions of the two.

As for how a limbless creature makes its own robotic limbs, that is a bit mysterious. I imagine it would be painstaking work using its mouth, haha. Perhaps old school Tuxemon naturalists made informal observations of the process ages ago, but the Quiptail/Speedoscelis life history remains to be studied in detail?

Glad you like the username. I've always been a fan of Asimov, so it popped into my head! smile

By xirsoi 20 Jul 2020 15:08

Champion · 91 comments

Glad to have yout smile

By DaneelOlivaw 22 Jul 2020 00:27

New member · 5 comments

Thanks! smile

Here are some updated versions of Quiptail and Speedoscelis with the coloration completed. The shading might need some work.

Quiptail:
https://www.deviantart.com/golantreviz/ … -849486460

Speedoscelis:
https://www.deviantart.com/golantreviz/ … -849490689

By xirsoi 22 Jul 2020 15:38

Champion · 91 comments

Yeah, I dig that big_smile

By DaneelOlivaw 22 Jul 2020 22:17

New member · 5 comments

Awesome, thanks!