What people would change in Pokemon

By Sanglorian 5 Dec 2015 06:30

Champion · 541 comments

I've found two threads on Reddit where fans of the games discuss what they'd change for future games. Might be useful for us to look at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/3 … t_pokemon/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/commen … t_pokemon/

By Sanglorian 6 Dec 2015 07:51

Champion · 541 comments

And one I've been thinking of, as I play through FireRed:

Battles have way too many delays in them. At the very least, there should be a quickplay mode, which tells you immediately what happened and moves to the next decision that the player needs to make.

And even if you are doing the longer, animated version with the full text, pressing A should immediately show the text, then skip to the next line.

For example, here's a basic grinding encounter, nothing exciting about it:

*starting animation*
*text displays letter by letter* Wild EKANS appeared!
*text displays letter by letter* Go! GEODUDE!
*animation*
*text displays letter by letter* What will GEODUDE do?
*select*
*text displays letter by letter* GEODUDE used DEFENSE CURL!
*animation*
*text displays letter by letter* GEODUDE's DEFENSE rose
*text displays letter by letter* Wild EKANS used POISON STING
*animation*
*text displays letter by letter* It's not very effective.
*text displays letter by letter* What will GEODUDE do?
*repeat*

In grind mode, it would go:
*battle loads* (no need to say the two PKMN, as that's visible on the screen) *text loads immediately* What will ROCKITTEN do?
*select*
*text loads immediately* ROCKITTEN - DEFENSE CURL - DEFENCE +30 / EYENEMY - POISON STING - NVE
*when player presses A, text loads immediately* What will ROCKITTEN do?
*repeat*

It could even play the animations while idle on the "What will ROCKITTEN do?" stage, and display the HP lost that round in yellow, but then they would be cut short when a selection is made.

Last edited by Sanglorian (6 Dec 2015 07:56)

By ShadowApex 6 Dec 2015 07:54

Lead Developer · 374 comments

There's definitely some good points in these threads, like some in the top rated comments. We're actually planning on doing many of these things:

• Remove the one save slot only and have a min of at least 3-5 save slots. there is literally no reason to do this anymore when space is no longer an issue and anybody can get rare legendaries rather easily these days.

Right now saving and loading isn't fully implemented at the moment, but the current framework allows up to 3 saves.

• Remove the IV system, keep only EVs and Natures.

Tuxemon's stat system differs from the Pokemon series in this way, but I'd like to plan on not leaving too much of the stats to chance and hopefully eliminate the need to grind away at breeding to get the creature stats you want.

• HMs replaced by a key item like a surfboard for surf and a chainsaw for cut.

I was also thinking of something similar to this. One problem with the Pokemon series is you usually need to dedicate these HMs to "HM Slaves", which are basically throw-away Pokemon. I was thinking these sort of things could be done either through items or through a separate set of techniques Tuxemon monsters could learn that would not affect their combat techniques.

• Character customization will never be removed again

Character customization is planned. smile

By ShadowApex 6 Dec 2015 08:01

Sanglorian wrote

And one I've been thinking of, as I play through FireRed:

Battles have way too many delays in them. At the very least, there should be a quickplay mode, which tells you immediately what happened and moves to the next decision that the player needs to make.

And even if you are doing the longer, animated version with the full text, pressing A should immediately show the text, then skip to the next line.

This is also a great idea! There will need to be some code changes needed to do this, but it would be nice to have this when you're running through a cave with a bunch of low-level bat-like creatures running around everywhere.

Another idea might be having an auto-resolve combat against low-level monsters similar to how Earthbound does it. To do this though, we'd need to figure out a way to retain the ability for the player to capture these monsters.

By Kelvin 8 Dec 2015 18:05

Member · 44 comments

EVs should be clear and easy to check, plus, it would be great if the tuxedex could tell you what EVs a tuxemon yields, even if you haven't caught it yet.

I'd also love if you could check the tuxedex while in battle, maybe have an option to scan your opponent at the cost of a turn to get their data without catching them, allowing you to learn their element, average stats at that level, etc., allowing for more strategic use of the tuxedex instead of just being a portable achievement board.

By ShadowApex 9 Dec 2015 22:02

Kelvin wrote

EVs should be clear and easy to check, plus, it would be great if the tuxedex could tell you what EVs a tuxemon yields, even if you haven't caught it yet.

I'd also love if you could check the tuxedex while in battle, maybe have an option to scan your opponent at the cost of a turn to get their data without catching them, allowing you to learn their element, average stats at that level, etc., allowing for more strategic use of the tuxedex instead of just being a portable achievement board.

I agree that all of a creature's stats should be pretty transparent to the player. I'd prefer for the player to not need a guide or website to go to just to construct the team they want with the right stats. It should be as painless as possible.

In regards to the EV/IV system itself, I've been discussing alternate ways we could implement a different system. Check out this thread to join the discussion.

By Leo 10 Dec 2015 16:32

Moderator · 70 comments

Honestly, the main thing to fix is the dreadful type system and IV things. The rest is more features to add.

Has anyone checked on other pkmn-like games, i.e. Digimon, Draqwe monster Joker, or Yo-Kai Watch?
These games do many of the things that are suggested in these threads, but they do not feel so great. It's good to see variations on the formula, and where they fail (and show that some good ideas are in fact terrible).
I think one of the most important aspects, and the appeal of pkmn to keep, is simplicity. It has a clean, chess-like feel compared to some RPGs.

By ShadowApex 11 Dec 2015 20:09

Leo wrote

Honestly, the main thing to fix is the dreadful type system and IV things. The rest is more features to add.

Has anyone checked on other pkmn-like games, i.e. Digimon, Draqwe monster Joker, or Yo-Kai Watch?
These games do many of the things that are suggested in these threads, but they do not feel so great. It's good to see variations on the formula, and where they fail (and show that some good ideas are in fact terrible).
I think one of the most important aspects, and the appeal of pkmn to keep, is simplicity. It has a clean, chess-like feel compared to some RPGs.

I agree. I think we should keep the type system relatively simple and elegant. I also think that Pokemon's IV system introduced the tedious system of breeding and releasing until you just happened to get a monster with perfect IVs.

I haven't played any of the titles that you mentioned. Are there any mechanics in those games that you could identify as having been implemented poorly? It would be interesting to see what we should potentially avoid.

By Sanglorian 12 Dec 2015 00:02

Champion · 541 comments
ShadowApex wrote

I agree. I think we should keep the type system relatively simple and elegant. I also think that Pokemon's IV system introduced the tedious system of breeding and releasing until you just happened to get a monster with perfect IVs.

My understanding is that the PKMN stats system accounts for:

The base capabilities of the species: Base stats
How a particular monster's raw ability differs from the rest of their species: IVs, Nature
The training of the particular monster: EVs

Is that correct? If so, could we drop IVs altogether and have the smaller and simpler Nature (or an equivalent) be the only way that we represent a monster's raw ability?

By ShadowApex 14 Dec 2015 06:58

Sanglorian wrote

My understanding is that the PKMN stats system accounts for:

The base capabilities of the species: Base stats
How a particular monster's raw ability differs from the rest of their species: IVs, Nature
The training of the particular monster: EVs

Is that correct? If so, could we drop IVs altogether and have the smaller and simpler Nature (or an equivalent) be the only way that we represent a monster's raw ability?

That pretty much sums it up. There won't be any kind of IV system in Tuxemon and I'd like to try and take a different approach on the EV system, which I'd like to change to "Battle Points" (BP).

The EV system in the original Pokemon games would influence your stats based on the Pokemon you defeat in battle. Instead of influencing your stats based on your opponent, my thoughts were to influence your creature's stats based on the techniques it uses. For example: using more physical attacks would make your creature stronger with physical attacks, special attacks would make your creature stronger with special attacks, etc.

By Leo 17 Dec 2015 23:31

Moderator · 70 comments
ShadowApex wrote

I haven't played any of the titles that you mentioned. Are there any mechanics in those games that you could identify as having been implemented poorly? It would be interesting to see what we should potentially avoid.

In Draqwe MJ, you see the monsters on the map (like in Mother) so there are no random encounters.
Yet often you cannot escape battle, and if you do manage to avoid battle too often, you end up needing to go back and grind. It ends up being more frustrating than satisfying.
Random encounters that are just what you need to progress, and sparse enough, are way better (like in Gen VI). In the last Gen the random encounters are less frequent (in fact I finished ORAS with less than 10 wild encounters), and you have ways to control the frequency (sweet scent, repel, fishing, rustling grass...). You feel in control, more than trying to escape monsters that run faster than you.

Also, most of Draqwe MJ feels very sluggish and not very rewarding. This was also a problem in old pkmn games, but was clearly alleviated in the last gen, that plays very smoothly. It's just fine-tuning there, because nothing has changed.

By the way, while it looks like a mediocre game, Pkmn: Gale of darkness seems to have some nice ideas.
In it, your starter is an eevee that can freely change between his evolved forms.
What is good there is that it is dynamic, but also that it gives you the opportunity to play with eevee, one of the most beloved pkmn.
Why is that good? Girls like cute creatures, so they typically may like the starters but not their evolved forms (charmander over charizard).
Boys usually prefer charizard. The pkmn system is fine since the main target is boys, but then they struggle to attract girls via other ways (beauty contests and the likes). And most of the dex (unevolved forms) are just useless.
In my opinion, the best of both would be to have only temporary evolutions (a bit like megas).
Something like that: you have 10 "slots" in your team.
An unevolved creature takes up 1 slot, and you "evolve" it by assigning slots to it (evolution would be independent of the level).
This way your creatures can be used in many more ways, and there are no useless forms.