Proposal: TUXEMON ADVENTURES - Getting started with something simple

By Sanglorian 30 Dec 2015 09:42

Champion · 510 comments

PROPOSAL: TUXEMON ADVENTURES
I suggest that as a warm up for the main Tuxemon campaign, we create a short and simple separate campaign (called Tuxemon Adventures in my mind). Basically, anyone could create any route, city or dungeon (the three main maps in PKMN) and we would add it to the Tuxemon Adventures map.

The reason I suggest this is because I think we're stalled working on the main Tuxemon plot. We want it to be great, and agreed upon by consensus, and coherent, and so on. However, while the plot is being formed we end up unable to make much progress on mapping, spiriting or programming, because the plot is in flux.

The beauty of Tuxemon Adventures is that it doesn't have to be clever or coherent or complete or agreed upon by the community. It's just something for us to practice on, and to create assets for, and build our skills up while we perfect the main plot.

What do you all think?

If there's general agreement, then I recommend people start by proposing a town, route or dungeon. These are the three main map types of Pokemon, and I think they'll suit our purposes too.

We can fit the towns, routes and dungeons together in any order, because this is just a quick-and-dirty project and not the main plot.

--

Here's a couple of examples that any mapper could get started with if they were interested:

NEWTOWN (Town)

The Protagonist begins in this town with a level 5 Rockitten, a level 5 Fruitera and a level 5 Magmaturtle. He/she also has 5 Tuxeballs and 5 Healing Potions.

A town ringed with trees and fences. It has:
1. A Mart
2. A Centre
3. A house with a door and a backyard (fenced) with a Tuxemon wandering back and forth in it
4. A guardhouse to the North, blocked by Guard 1.
5. A guardhouse to the South, blocked by Guard 2.
6. A guardhouse to the East, blocked by Guard 3.
7. A guardhouse to the West.

1. Mart, 2. Centre
Standard

3. House
The house belongs to a TuxeFan. It is furnished like an ordinary house, except that it has a door to the backyard (where the Tuxemon is wandering back and forth).

Any time you active the TuxeFan (unless the trade has taken place): "I love to trade Tuxemon. Don't you? I will trade you any Tuxemon for my SUMOBUG Tuxemon." "Y/N"
Y: [trade takes place.] "Oh, a [insert name of traded Tuxemon]. That's neat, I guess."
N: "Oh well, I like my SUMOBUG."

Any time you activate the TuxeFan (after the trade has taken place): "I'm liking my new Tuxemon!"

4., 5., 6.
The Guards block the doors to the guardhouses.

Any time you active the Guard: "These routes are blocked. We need your help to clear them. Log on to Tuxemon.org and contribute!"

(Obviously as more Routes are contributed these guardhouses can be opened up.)

If you pass through the door to the Guardhouse, you arrive on ROUTE #1.

ROUTE #1

This route is a criss-cross of ledges and long grass. It has:
1. Cat Lady #1 (one Memnomnom level 5, one Propellercat level 3) (opening dialogue: "I love cats and I love to run" if defeated: "*sob* I'm sorry I'm thinking about cats again"
2. Cat Lady #2 (one Propellercat level 5, one Rockitten level 3) (opening dialogue: "I love every kind of cat" if defeated: "*sob* I can't hug every cat"
3. Red Fan #1 (one Sumobug level 5, one Magmaturtle level 5) (opening dialogue: "I collect red Tuxemon! What kind of Tuxemon do you collect?" if defeated: "You must collect powerful Tuxemon. That's not a theme!")

In the long grass:
40% chance of Dandicub (levels 2-6)
20% chance of Bamboon (levels 2-6)
20% chance of Eyenemy (levels 2-6)
20% chance of Axylightl (levels 2-6)

In one corner:
An ANTIDOTE

Last edited by Sanglorian (30 Dec 2015 10:03)

By ShadowApex 31 Dec 2015 19:24

Lead Developer · 374 comments
Sanglorian wrote

PROPOSAL: TUXEMON ADVENTURES
I suggest that as a warm up for the main Tuxemon campaign, we create a short and simple separate campaign (called Tuxemon Adventures in my mind). Basically, anyone could create any route, city or dungeon (the three main maps in PKMN) and we would add it to the Tuxemon Adventures map.

The reason I suggest this is because I think we're stalled working on the main Tuxemon plot. We want it to be great, and agreed upon by consensus, and coherent, and so on. However, while the plot is being formed we end up unable to make much progress on mapping, spiriting or programming, because the plot is in flux.

The beauty of Tuxemon Adventures is that it doesn't have to be clever or coherent or complete or agreed upon by the community. It's just something for us to practice on, and to create assets for, and build our skills up while we perfect the main plot.

What do you all think?

I think this is a great idea, especially to start getting some content out there. Once we've worked out more of the specifics of the official campaign, we'll be able to focus more of our efforts there.

I also think creating maps is the best way to figure out what map actions and conditions we still need to create (e.g. josepharaoh99's suggestion for change_map_tile action, etc.).