Tuxemon Audio Drama

By josepharaoh99 8 Mar 2016 22:48

Champion · 295 comments

Okay, an interesting idea I had that could be an improvement over Pokemon. What if, when dialog displays, we have a sound file that plays a person talking, adding audio drama? That would be nice for people who don't really like reading. To do that, you would need a few new functions-
1. dialog_with_audio (parameters: dialog, audio file)
2. dialog_chain_with_audio (parameters: dialog_chain, audio file)
To do this, we'd also have to find the best actors on our crew big_smile
BUT-we shouldn't do this until we know for sure what everyone is going to say in the story line.

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search

By ShadowApex 9 Mar 2016 19:45

Lead Developer · 374 comments
josepharaoh99 wrote

Okay, an interesting idea I had that could be an improvement over Pokemon. What if, when dialog displays, we have a sound file that plays a person talking, adding audio drama? That would be nice for people who don't really like reading. To do that, you would need a few new functions-
1. dialog_with_audio (parameters: dialog, audio file)
2. dialog_chain_with_audio (parameters: dialog_chain, audio file)
To do this, we'd also have to find the best actors on our crew big_smile
BUT-we shouldn't do this until we know for sure what everyone is going to say in the story line.

Making Tuxemon fully voiced is a very large proposition, especially given that we also plan on supporting multiple languages. It's something that, if not done right, could actually make the play experience worse if the acting is bad. It also makes the game significantly larger in size and removes the player's ability to imagine what the characters are like.

We can still create the dialog_with_audio and dialog_chain_with_audio or similar actions for other campaigns, but I'm hesitant to try and include full voice acting in the main campaign.

Another alternative, which may or may not be better, would be to include some kind of fake language the characters speak in, similar to how it's done in Animal Crossing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4DF-Esh2bg

By tamashihoshi 9 Mar 2016 20:17

Champion · 251 comments
josepharaoh99 wrote

What if, when dialog displays, we have a sound file that plays a person talking, adding audio drama? That would be nice for people who don't really like reading.

Well.. it depends on what you really want to achieve.

The "people who don't like reading" thing is somethin complicated in my opinion. If someone doesnt want to read, it means, we have at some point too much dialogue or uninteresting/annoying characters.... to me its hard to imagine, that people who don't like to read in general, get hooked just because of sound... the "yeah come on just tell me what my new side-quest is!" will stay either-way.

IMO instead of creating sound for all dialogues we could eventually maybe do only a few words or lines.
In "Summon Night Twin Age", when a new character appeared, their first sentence was dubbed and you had a detailed view of the character (so much anime style!). In "Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney" you don't have any sentences.. instead they only have "objection" "hold it" and "take that" dubbed... both were enough to create some drama in my head but i have a strong imagination big_smile haha

then you always have something like beep-for-char or talk-for-char (as shadowapex's link showed)... while lots of rpgs/games have a static beeping (so every char makes the same sound), you can also make a beep that variates (every char has the same base sound but the pitch is slightly random)
We could use a variated beeping* and combine it with a few other things.. like adding a slight vibrato effect and higher pitch when a character is scared, or higher pitch variation when someone is angry. Also different "beeps" for different characters.

Also this audio drama reminds me: shouldnt the tuxemon also have an entry soundeffect? (I think it was called "call" or something in pokemon, which you could hear in the pokedex or when the monster was sent to battle)

*Im not excatly talking of an 8 bit beep but any kind of sound big_smile

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By josepharaoh99 11 Mar 2016 23:11

Champion · 295 comments
ShadowApex wrote

It also makes the game significantly larger in size

Yeah, I guess so. So, discard that idea.

ShadowApex wrote

Another alternative, which may or may not be better, would be to include some kind of fake language the characters speak in, similar to how it's done in Animal Crossing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4DF-Esh2bg

I thought it would be funny to be like in Crack the Case, where when people talk, all they say is "Bla bla bla, bla bla bla." big_smile Of course that would get annoying after a while, so there would need to be an option to turn off the "Bla Bla."

tamashihoshi wrote

Also this audio drama reminds me: shouldnt the tuxemon also have an entry soundeffect?

Yeah, are we doing that?

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search