Official Art Direction Thread

By Leo 20 Feb 2016 14:24

Moderator · 70 comments
benneti wrote

Well I can try some scetches for architecture next week.
Should I do things, which are really done in Egypt like the buildings are not finished because then they don't have to pay taxes?
(I think I have some private photos of some temples and so on if you are interested but Wikipedia should have enough)

I know it's a joke, but I'll answer that anyway, since it's kinda important. We're taking the same 'universalist cartoony' approach that is taken in pkmn games. You don't think seeing Kalos region 'oh these guys look so French', not anymore than you think seeing Kanto 'oh they look so Japanese'. We're taking clues from the culture to make the world richer, not making a historically accurate sociological depiction of the country.

So what would be useful is a set of references for the architecture, basically associating different real-world buildings with buildings for the game. There are a lot of different styles of architecture in Egypt, so the thing is to select how some elements would translate into a visual language for the game. It includes to make choices for decorative elements, like hyeroglyphs, or recurring visual motifs. Last thing to decide is how stylised (cartoony) buildings should be, and how much we stick with the themes.

Having sketches is not so important as having nicely organized references, something like the pdf I've put up, but with more content.

benneti wrote

Also would it help if I wrote some holy and typical animals up, as an inspiration fitting the Egypt motive(I may try to draw some txmn but I think they won't look great)

That would be great, please post that in the Dex thread. Try to apply the same principles: ideas and references first. One of the reason is to avoid 'falling in love with your drawing'. Suppose that you have a crappy idea drawn well and a good one drawn terribly. Then you might choose the first idea, while it shouldn't be the case. So really, ideas first.

By benneti 20 Feb 2016 17:51

Member · 38 comments

Thank you for the input.
Actually the one with the unfinished buildings was no joke, i thought it would fit the rebels (sorry i cant remeber how they are called) and i did not want to create something historically accurate.
I will definitly create the reference list , should this one include the standard symbols (not associated with any creatures),too?

Last edited by benneti (20 Feb 2016 18:30)

By Leo 20 Feb 2016 19:44

Moderator · 70 comments

Oh, Ok... it's interesting I didn't know that. It's a bit like how arcades were developed in Italy because taxes were computed according to the ground level surface, so having larger levels on pilotis was essentially free. It may be a bit far-fetched for this kind of game, or it may work...

What do you mean by standard symbols? Do you mean hieroglyphs?
If that's the case we can develop our own hieroglyphic alphabet, it could great to 1) past it into walls, etc, as decorating elements, and 2)  create some enigmas related to the world mythology that would be interesting as plot device.

By benneti 20 Feb 2016 19:53

Member · 38 comments

Yes i think its similar to this. No I did not only mean hieroglyphs but symbols in general anyway they probably were used as hieroglyphs, too big_smile. OK, i think i have some ideas wich could work and an idea what you think is needed, so I will give my best next week! smile

Last edited by benneti (20 Feb 2016 19:54)

By benneti 23 Feb 2016 12:47

Member · 38 comments

so as i said, i did a little Wikipedia write up, i hope it gives a brief overview  and helps someone to get new ideas, and i think the Egypt theme gives enough for the first world (/storyline).
The other file in the folder is the source (latex), so if you want to edit it please do.
The pdf looks shitty and i'm sorry for this big_smile
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3omk7wee606m … lkD7a?dl=0
(i think it would be nicer to host this somewhere central)

By Sanglorian 23 Feb 2016 20:58

Champion · 499 comments

Having the adventure progress down (or up) a Nile-like river is a great idea.

By benneti 23 Feb 2016 21:00

Member · 38 comments

Thanks, was the first thing i thought of after i opened the egypt wiki article big_smile

Last edited by benneti (23 Feb 2016 21:01)

By Leo 24 Feb 2016 20:57

Moderator · 70 comments

Thank you for your work benneti, that's great.
Now you should aim for more precise references. I'll explain why.

Most people have a stereotypical image of what a bull or a goat looks like, which is usually based on European breeds. These breeds are adapted to our climates, and rich soils. It follows that they are usually quite productive (both regarding dairy and meat production), but they require a lot of food and good conditions. Breeds from Africa, on the other hand, are adapted to harsh conditions, so can survive with less food, but produce much less meat/milk. They also (usually) have less fur, etc. So try to concentrate on endemic species/subspecies/breeds.

Also, most mythological 'designs' are garbage, basically just "okay so you put half of animal A on animal B, you had snake tails"...  So we want them referenced, but not put as is.

Okay, so let's put some examples of what would be awesome (it's not a very good example, but should give a good idea).
For example, let's consider the camel, since it should be an important animal.

Camel.
    Used in Races, for Transport, and Military uses.
    Main species: dromedaries, bactrian camels. Can be very lean with short fur, or thick with fluffy fur.
    Possible colors: almost white to dark brown robes, no patterns.
    Interesting species: megacamelus, ...
    Mythological references: Zeus and the camel[0], ...

Proposed tuxemons:
Since divergent evolutions will be a staple of Tuxemon, put them with a tree notation (so 1.x are evolutions of 1, 1.2.1 is the evolution of 1.2 and so on).
    1. Baby camel. Neutral. (actually, I have no idea for it... hmm.)
    1.1. Thick and fluffy bactrian camel, used by habitants for transport. Earth type, has rock horns referencing Aesop's fable.
    1.1.1 War camel. Earth/Fire type. Look a bit like a tank.   
    1.2. Race camel, lean dromedary. Fire type, its hooves leave a trail of fire. Has a pattern looking like a saddle on its back.

Same thing for the architecture, try to find some precise motifs and decorative elements that we can use to give personality to buildings, like maybe some types of typical doors or window-frames.

By benneti 24 Feb 2016 21:52

Member · 38 comments

Thanks for your input, i will try this, i already refered to the "Egypt" version of most of the animals because i thought of this, too. (Some not for example  the scorpion, bull and the birds but i will try to find some other ones, too.
Additionally i think that considering animals which are farmed, so nowadays you would probably see no difference)
I will try to add some more keywords and i think i now understand what you think will be most useful.

what do you mean with windows and doors, i think the most typical things are the pylons, obelisks, sphinxes and pillars (and pyramids) and additionally the hieroglyphs, regarding the ancient Greeks, after this probably some more oriental stuff and nowadays i think there is no real typical architecture for one country. So could you tell me what you think should be added please?

By benneti 26 Feb 2016 16:47

Member · 38 comments

I added a bit of information to  the pdf (camels (i did not even think on them before you mentioned them big_smile), a bit for goats and scarabs, too) and  uploaded it to my ownCloud.
Do you think we should create a wiki article with references for inspiration instead of this pdf and if yes what would be a good name?
and is the new information more as you think it should be?
new link: https://cloud.tissot.de/owncloud/public … 07a7132023

By Leo 26 Feb 2016 22:36

Moderator · 70 comments
benneti wrote

Do you think we should create a wiki article with references for inspiration instead of this pdf and if yes what would be a good name?

Yes, definitely. Not sure about the title, try to be informative? Something better than 'Ideas dump'. Like that anybody can add ideas when they come.

benneti wrote

(...) and is the new information more as you think it should be?

Generally it's a pretty good base, thanks a lot. I hope others will notice. There are many things that already spark some idea associations. One of the resons I wanted others to participate in this task was to give other people interested in the design of Tuxemon to feel the sense of wonder you can get when you discover new and fascinating things. So that they can feel "wow this is so cool, I want to see that in the game". A nice side-effect is that by doing this kind of research you can get a better understanding of what is good design and thus improve their contributions. Well, also it's good to have many different inputs to avoid things to get stale.

So I spent some time researching, and got books from the library.
An interesting one for architecture is "Imhotep Today: Egyptianizing architecture" by Humbert and Price.

The other, massive and jaw-dropping reference is the napoleonic survey "Une description de l'Egypte" (a description of Egypt, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Description_de_l'%C3%89gypte).
Here's a link to some animal and plants plates 
http://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/s … ypte%22%29
If anybody knows a place with all the plates (there's an awful lot of them), please drop a link.

I'm pretty fired up so I'll be back to the drawing board now.

By josepharaoh99 4 Apr 2016 22:33

Champion · 295 comments

I'm no master, but I gave an attempt at creating some building architecture:
NwXmbZq.jpg
Let me know what you think!

Multiple Media Producer
Jesus is God! http://www.upci.org/search