Re-wrote guide to Creating Creatures - should now cover everything

By Sanglorian 30 Apr 2016 06:06

Champion · 491 comments

Hi folks,

I've re-written the Creating Creatures guide on the wiki, to cover everything: concept, illustration, sprites and stats.

https://github.com/Tuxemon/Tuxemon/wiki … -creatures

Let me know what you think.

By tamashihoshi 2 May 2016 06:52

Champion · 251 comments

Goodjob on that one lori!

Since the guide now covers up alot, you should maybe add something like a "table of contents" thingy. Like... a list of contents at the top with all titles (dunno the correct name for that).
If I already have my sprites, I wouldn't need to skip through all that idea finding and spriting part and can directly read the forum/PR part.

I'm a little unsure if it's too much to say: "There is a distinctive style, the "Sugimori style", that Tuxemon is sometimes faithful to" at the illustration part.
The question is: What do we need illustrations for? Currently they only have a sense in the wiki/forum.. but maybe they might be added to the ingame wiki. Probably you could add that info there, since you should know why you do what.

I like "You don't have to do all of these steps yourself! Just post whichever you feel like doing, and we might be able to find someone to help fill in the rest." alot. Can you make a link to the forum (which opens in a new tab?) out of the words I underlined? That would be pretty awesome!

About types: We might add, where the types come from... the 5 elements from wu-xing might also inspire people to create more interesting tuxemon or items and such...
when mentioning wu-xing you might as well add a link to wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

Thank you very much for re-writing the guide! Hopefully, as stats and stuff will be worked on, we can complete the guide little by little..   happy

Edit:
Something that came to my mind NOW of coures after posting:
also add some example images when it comes to sprites and illustrations (not only the "this is something you shouldn't do").

Last edited by tamashihoshi (2 May 2016 06:57)

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!

By ShadowApex 2 May 2016 20:28

Lead Developer · 374 comments

Excellent additions to the creating creatures guide. I went ahead and added a table of contents to the page, so you can more easily navigate to different sections of the guide. The only thing extra that I would add would be a few additional in-page examples of certain things like face sprites, etc. Other than that, everything looks awesome! Thanks for the contribution!

By Sanglorian 15 May 2016 05:59

Champion · 491 comments

Good feedback, folks (and thanks for the table of contents). I've made a number of changes to reflect your suggestion, including several example sprites.

By tamashihoshi 15 May 2016 14:05

Champion · 251 comments
Sanglorian wrote

Good feedback, folks (and thanks for the table of contents). I've made a number of changes to reflect your suggestion, including several example sprites.

Looks good! Thank you very much!
Here's an addition:

"great sprites" -> hoarse:
"rsg167's Hoarse is dynamic and interesting"
hoarse looks dynamic and interesting because of the pose. the tuxemon is not standing still and is not in a steady stance but looks like its about to move.

also about sumobug: not sure if i feel so well if it says "tamashihoshis sumobug", since I updated the design to leo's suggestion yikes it feels a little as if i would steal credit.. but maybe im a little too strict

Something that came do my mind when seeing "Dune Pincher" in the sprites:
When doing lighting for the sprite, you can also change hue, not just the brightness
as an example, the spot lighting on the pincher/claw tip is yellow/orange while the main color is red. thats something which was also mentioned in the sugimori tutorials...
"2nd layer of shading has a greenish hue" "You may change this depending on what mood/ambience you want to give you fakemon artworks"
i chose yellow because dune pincher comes from a warm region -> much sun -> yellow/warm lighting
maybe there's a better sprite to show that, i actually tried this for the first time big_smile haha

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day!